marshall VBA400 vs gallien krueger 700rb head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Erythuria, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Marshall VBA400

12 vote(s)
  2. GK 700RB

13 vote(s)
  3. none of them (please state your alternative in your reply)

0 vote(s)
  1. anyone got any experience with either of these two amps? i'm not bothered about difference in wattage, i'm more interested in which can deliver the clearest sound. i would think the marshall would due to its 12 valves, but i have heard otherwise... comments please!!
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Though I have not played a 700Rb, but I so far have played a 800 RB, own a BL250 and hope to get an MB150S, I can say that the GK is way better if you want smothness and clarity, and lots of tones with easy controls. The Marshall I once played had to much of grind and didnt sound that nice.
    Add that Marshall's main profile is guitar amps, so its built like their guitar amps... noisy and grindy. GK, to the contrary, makes bass amps. And their amps are very popular. The 800 RB is the "small venue jazz standard amp", and half the bands you see use GK.
    Forget the damn marshall and get a nice GK - you wont regret it!
  3. Clear and punchy!

That's the way to define the GK 700RB
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've played the Marshall, and it wasn't anything special (IMO).
  5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    RA - first, where did you find one? I've been looking to try it and nobody stocks Marshall bass gear. Second, can you give a bit more of a description of the sound than "nothing special"?
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ahh, that is pure BS that guitarist fall for, but we bassists are wiser, we listen for ourselves and we listen ot our ears - because that is what matters, how it sounds (and reliability - but that too is another point for GK). you did the right thing by trying the 700 RB
  7. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    i own a vba 400 and it does exactly what it says on the tin!.i did a review in the review section under "M" i also havent played through the GK so i cant comment.all i can tell you is that it is LOUD VERY LOUD so loud my guitarist uses two marshall 100w heads to compete with it when playing live.dont know about clear tone either its more meaty than anything with lots of head room, more for rock or metal players funksters give it a wide bearth not for you i dont think,its up there with the svt's and mesa 400 i reckon :cool:
    as for valves it has 12: 8x pwr ecc6550 and 3 ecc83 and 1 ecc82 pre amp
  8. zoran

May 10, 2002
    GK has definitely cleaner sound but I didn't find marshall bad either. Marshall has more vintage vibe. Isn't some tubes in it?
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Valves/tubes do not necessarily generate clarity, they usually tend to give an amp "warmth"/distortion.
  10. I have a Marshall VBA400, a recent purchase, it gives me the exact sound I have craved for years and years, yep as sub forum says..It does what it says on the box... It rocks and I too think that it's for Heavy Rock / Blues Rock or Metal. However, it does also give a very nice fat clean tone, but I wouldn't think that it's for Funk players... It's a bloody Marshall !!!
  11. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    cant agree more stu ,im glad you appreciate the big vba beastie too, :D its a future classic the best marshall bass amp in years
  12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    At my local guitar store. They had the head + the matching 8x10. I just thought the tone was "normal". It just sounded like a loud solid state amp. I didn't really get it real loud, so maybe the tone opens up a little bit more when it's louder.