Marshall VBC 412 cab - not much info around so a quick review for you.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N*Joy, Dec 19, 2005.

1. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I've posted this in a couple of places as the searches don't come up with much (other than my old thread to recommend amps for my Ampeg V4!).

Thanks to Mr voodoobass for talking it up and making me aware that it existed(!), and thanks to all the tube amp guys for the supporting anecdotes in favour of sealed cabs.

Bit of background: I bought an old Ampeg V4 head a while back and a Trace cab (with a 15" and a 10" EV speakers) which just didn't work out, it farted out a fair bit and I think a ported cab doesn't really suit the head.

As for the Marshall - Fantastic tight low end and fat low mids, no harsh treble (no tweeter) so a pretty 'old school' sound but still plenty of twang, particularly when playing with a pick. It seems to be very responsive, never sounds flabby or farts out regardless of whether you have the low end boosted or mids to silly levels. I just can't believe the volume of the thing, it's almost as if it was challenging you to stretch it and then saying 'nyahhh, you **** - not enough power' :D

This rig is an awesome metal/hardcore set-up. Wheels on the bottom are a definite bonus, as is the shallow depth and extra width to put the V4 on top without looking ridiculous. Nice recessed jack socket too.

There are some carp things about it:

1. It's a marshall 4x12 so it looks like a guitar cab (an old guitar head on top doesn't help the issue ).

2. It's a marshall cab so the tolex covering is utter s**t and rips if you cough near it.

3. If carrying on your own through doors etc. you need to work on your sideways crab walk due to its considerable width.

4. It looks like a guitar cab

All in all a superb purchase which has increased my confidence in sealed cabs considerably. Sounded nice with guitar too, nice soft smooth thick vintage sound (helps going through the V4 with a touch of reverb).

A bargain used at £220 ($375 at current rates), or to translate into real UK gear price terms - 1/4 the cost of a new Ampeg 810.
  2. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hey i was just wondering if you knew the efficiency of the cab?

If you don't know the exact number can you from experiance its more efficient or less efficient than something. The marshall website is stupid to navigate and i dont think they even have the efficiency on their website.

3. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    sorry didnt see you posted on my old thread
  4. yeah, it´s a great cab! But not fun to move around in staircases and such.
    still it´s a keeper!(until my back gets bad i guess)
  5. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Yep, definitely a two man job for stairs!

well here's a pic to make it official ;)

Attached Files:

6. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey all

For anyone else considering this Cab i just bought it.

did lots of research, and lots of playing around and i have to say i am very very happy with my final decision.

I am using the VBA 400 with it also.

MMk...i shall now give a little review of my own for people searching.

I used to use the ampeg svt410hlf and this cab IMO destroys it. More lows, cleaner highs as well as being a more "flat" responsive box where the HLF was kinda mid scooped.

Also i found that same amp with same settings was quite a bit louder on the marshall than the ampeg so i am going to say that we can assume its efficiancy is above 98db at 1W/1M (but we all know how useless that is ;) )

umm...i dunno what else to tell you...It can take a pounding, and ask for more. All i have to say is don't rule these babies out just because its marshall and there that whole anti-marshall bass thing. I was very surprised and very impressed with these units.

make sure you get it with castors if you do get it...HEAVY...

and the tolex is crap...i havent torn it yet but it will soon, so i think im gonna put gaffa tape on it BEFORE it rips...

if you get a chance to play through one of these go for it. Any other questions just ask me.
  7. whats the whole anti marshall bass thing about? i was thinking about a "do all cab" and was thinking about marshall
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I want like 4 of them!
  9. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    im sure some people here dont have it, but there are many people who rule it out just because its marshall. I know, when i went to order it the shop owner was like "marshall...?"
    with a big confused look on his face. And when i went asking around some players around town, it like

"Have you heard anything about the new marshall 412?"

"Na, personally i think marshall bass gear is a load of ****"

and i got this a lot. But, its good.

so yeh..
  10. The MBC line of Marshall bass gear is crap but the VBA series....primo! If you "wanna rock" this is the series to get...with either matching VBC412 (which I have) or VBC810
  11. Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    This a thread that deserves to be brought back from the dead to spread the word about the awesomeness of the VBC412
  12. bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Whats wrong with it looking like a guitar cab? They looked great when Jack Bruce, Leo Lyons, Tim Bogert, Steve Harris and Lemmy played through them....... p.s. I want one!!!
  13. bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, and Billy Cox too... Marsahall fan here, if you couldn't tell!!
  14. Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Damnit! I'm JUST getting over GASsing for these cabs, and you have to resurrect this thread???? :p AAAGGHH!!!! Or, maybe it's a sign... hmmm.... :help:

15. Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Well, my GAS finally won out, especially after playing through a pair of VBC 412s at the Sedwn Rock Festival in June, and caused yet another resurrection of this thread, hehehe! :D

I posted a thread here:

Does anyone know what speakers are loaded inside? Also, how do you get to them? :D

16. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I used to own the Marshall 2001, 375W head when first introduced so am looking forward to the VBC400 I just bought. Will be here in a few days. To begin with, I will play it through my Hartke VX 215 which is 500W RMS and 4 Ohms.

I would be interested to hear from people who own it and use it with VBC412 cab or cabs although these days, 1 is enough for me.
  17. jesuskno

Jun 7, 2010
    Hello friend, I am owner of a Marshall 2001 head and Marshall VBA 400.
    Also I own a Marshall VBC 412 cab.
    The sound of all is fantastic. For my taste more like 2001.
    The Marshall cab is great. The two heads sound fantastic through it.
    Next week I will get another VBC used marshall cab.

As recent data, I have been owner of mesa boogie, ampeg, swr ... etc ... sorry guys where to put a good Tube Marshall to remove everything else.