1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall VCB810 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Im contemplating getting one of these, problem is i would need to get it without having tried it first, i was thinking about either going with a peavey 810 or an ampeg 810, probably more towards the ampeg, but i dont think i will have a chance at one of them showing up any time soon

I have a chance at a marshall VBC810 for about £430, could probably lower it to about £400 (£80 is postage!)

You guys think this is too much? would i be better holding off for an ampeg 810? as the marshall is also a sealed cab and pretty similar dimensions im guessing they would have a "similar" sound, being both are sealed 810s

Opinions ppl ?

Cheers

- Will

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I never thought I would ever hear you say the words: "Is this to much".

I dont know anything about the cab, but if it is in-fact to much, I think it would be perfect for you. You can carry it in one hand and your 160lb rack with your bass in the other, all in one trip, no problem.....;) ;)
    Did you get your Mesa/R.R. shock rack yet?

3. Ive not bought the RR rack yet, but will do soon :)

Forking out the cash is all well and good but is it going to bw worth it is what i need to know, the money could probably go towards better things, but, meh :p , the RR case is a shoe in tho cus the old rack case is falling appart (literally, the bottom of it is being seperated from the sides as the sides are buckling out the ways, and i thought might aswell go with the shockmount as its an investment i dont intent to have to replace any time soon :) , plus, the rack is only going to be 152 lbs :p

Just out of interest, not to derail my own thread, but hows that 6-way power mod on your 400+ working?

4. I don't much like the Peavey 8x10 and I REALLY don't like the modern Ampeg 8x10. I think you ought to give the Marshall a try. You're not likely to run into a vintage Ampeg 8x10. If the Marshall's specs are honest, it should outperform the other two anyway.

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Have you ever thought about a Bergantino NV610 instead of an 8x10? If you have to have an 8x10 I'd go with the Ampeg.

6. Shipping an 8x10 from Indianapolis to Scotland could be a WEE bit pricey. ;)

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I never met a Marshall I didn't like.

Where did you find the specs??

8. I read them in a sales brochure when the VBA400 was first introduced,-6dB at 37Hz, IIRC. It is interesting that they don't publish them on the website, though.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I wholeheartedly agree. And give us a report on your findings should you get one!

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Ok you asked for it.
    I was going to wait for a few shows, before reporting, but for you:

I played my first show,(with the mod) this past friday night.
    My rather loud band is probably not the best place to revew a low wattage tube amp.
    I had a very short amount of setup/sound-check time, and ended up playing the show at the 200w setting.

At the lower switch settings, I can (master knob) all kinds of cool saturated power tube sounds, at the expence of one thing: being able to hearing myself on stage with this band.(no surprise there)

Before I did this mod, I asked Psycho what to expect, sound wise,
    he replyed: "It will sound pretty much the same, you'll notice the difference in headroom and feel more than tone".

He was spot on corect.
    Its really quite amazing to flip through the switches, while playing a note, and feel the headroom go up and down.

Ok back to the big show:
    The sound man couldnt seem to pad my amps balanced output down to the point were he could use it, (he probably had my mixer channel set to mic level or maybe, my running the master at 7 with hot pre settings did it). He insisted on a last minute change, puting a behringer.. :eyebrow:..D/I, inline with my bass. (I swear this crapy peice of crap D/I, was a tone sucking vortex, between my bass and amp). With the P/A mains set right next to my mic/monitor, this cleanish p/a bass sound is about all I heard during this show.
    I did receve 2 (Other bass players) complements on my tone, so It must have been better than I thought.
    Any ways the mod is very cool. I have not had any problems with it, and I still think it will make ANY big tube amp, way more versatile.

Lets see you would only need 2 switches for a 100/200/300w system on your SVT-II. Does this amp have a good spot to locate 2 mini-toggle switches, or maybe a switch-plate? :ninja: without to much fuss?

My next mod: Maybe instaling a adjustable reostat pad, to the Balanced XLR, output jack. (Psycho)?

11. Do you know how efficient a cab it is in relation to the newer ampegs ?

Thanks for the replies PBG!

I cant actually find any information on the VBC810 at all on the marshall site, which i found odd, only information on the VBA400 amp and MB810 cab (which isnt out yet and looks to be ported and have a tweeter, blah!)

A berg 6x10 is out of the question, a friend of mine was looking at getting one, and it cost more for the shipping than the cab if i remember correctly, also, he would get nailed with quite alot on import tax and VAT. I was thinking about holding out for an ampeg but never seem to see them going anywhere near me, true this cab isnt near me, but i could get it for a bit cheaper than ampegs seem to go + would be interesting to have something different.

12. Sounds cool! I was really tempted when i read about you contemplating it a while back, its a great idea that some amp manufacturers should put into use!
    Sounds like the best way of getting the cranked sound at lower volumes, glad it worked well :D

Ive never had to use the DI out on my amp, but suspect i may have the same problem as you (no level on DI), ive always got my BDDI tho, so no sound guy is getting to put a behringer DI in the way of my amp!

13. *bump*

anyone have any more info on these?

- Will

14. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Bear in mind the fact that a new Ampeg 810 will be made of particle board - a material I didn't expect to see when I bought my Ampeg B series cabs. Whatever you think of the sound, only the BXT's, the Pro and the high-power 810 seem to be made of ply. It doesn't matter to most people obviously, or no-one would buy them, but I think it should state on the Ampeg site thate they're made of Sterling board. They try to say it's a high-tech modern meterial, but when all's said and done, it's just particle board,

15. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I have owned both the Marshall 8x10 and a modern Ampeg 8x10.
    I think the modern Ampeg cabs sound a bit better than the Marshall, but frankly neither are very good. If the Marshall is in your budget and you want a fridge cab I'd say go for it. Waiting for an Ampeg to come along is a waste of time from a sound standpoint.

I now have a Bergantino 6x10 and it eats both the Ampeg and Marshall, but I undestand the frustration about shipping cost.

I will say that the Marshall cab is much better built than the Ampeg, and the first 8x10 I'd seen with a built in handle on the bottom! Finally someone clued in to how to make getting a fridge cab up a flight of stair easier. Though I did prefer the ampeg's towel bar on the top to the marshall's twin handles. And though I liked the looks of the grey grill on the anniversary Ampeg cab the Marshall's looks are really simple but badass. I had a lot of people ask me about the Marshall cab while I had it.

Sonically I just liked how the Ampeg sounded slightly deeper than the Marshall, but the difference is really small. You won't pine for an Ampeg if you like the Marshall.

Is Ashdown stuff too pricey in your area too? I'd think they may offer a better sounding 8x10 from your side of the Atlantic.

16. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    +1 I've never heard this cab, but if I was in your situation I would look into those. Their higher end stuff seems like quality stuff. Again that's just speculation.

Good luck.

17. Ive heard both current models of ashdown 810 in comparison to a newer ampeg 810, and neither of them sounded very good imo, but ive never liked the ashdown sound at all really

As much as you guys say a berg is nice, it is really out of the question completelly, especially when it will cost over 3 or 4 times that of the marshall i can get

So the ampeg had a bit of a fuller sound to it? or more of a low end to it? (just curious as to how you mean by deeper), does the marshall cab also have a noticable mid punch like the ampeg?

Cheers so-far guys :)

18. Bumps

19. <> bump <>