Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Got a new amp recently and how it rocks ! Marshall VBA400 with two 4x12 cabs - not very subtle I know but that's me down to the ground. I have tried several different types of amp transistors, hybrid, searching for the sound in my head. I have now found it. This amp isn't for everyone a lot of modern players, certainly those I read on here seem to crave total clarity and lots of EQ to play with and graphics and DI this and that. I just wanted a straightforward amp that rocks out and gives me the sound I've wanted since I first heard Jack Bruce playing Sunshine of Your Love, Tales of Brave Ulysses and Sitting On Top of The World. It's only taken me nearly 30 years to get what I wanted. So

The Marshall Has Landed.... God Help You All. :bassist:

2. Glad to hear that the amp of your dreams finally became a reality. I saw Jack in '68 and still remember the opening strains of SoYL as the curtains parted. What a rush! It wasn't too long after that I purchased a Marshall Plexi... it was terrible as a bass amp, but would be worth a small fortune today (judging by what the guit*rists are paying for them). The VBA is a whole different story... I only hear great things from folks who are seeking that sound. Enjoy!

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I've been using a '78 JMP 2203 modified to KT-88's, with a '78 1960 4x12 with Celestion Sidewinders for years! I love that rig. It ONLY works when the rest of the band realises it's limited volume, but it rocks!
    GEEK

4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Shweet! Been looking to try one of those, but they're impossible to find in the US. 6 to 8 week lead time to order one. What do they go for in the UK? Best price I've found here is about $1450 US (new).

How much distortion can you get out of it? Can you post some sound samples?

5. How does it compare to an SVT, or any other all tube amps you may have tried?

6. The distortion goes from being non existant to full on by using the master vol control & gain control soon as I can I'll post some sound samples if possible.

I have tried Ampeg and Mesa Boogie valve amps, they sounded great but still not quite the overall sound I was looking for, I prefer the Marshall but I guess many won't. I don't think I was very scientific or anything just went a lot on gut feeling, the Mesa Boogie sounded beefy but there didn't seem to be as much edge as I could get with the VBA, Of course I think Marshalls look great too, to my mind nothing quite beats a Marshall Stack.

I paid £875.00 for it and it's worth every penny !

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Congrats Stu!!! and thanks for sharing!

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Wow, if I got the exchange rate correctly that's even more expensive than the price I was quoted! I always just assumed Marshall gear would be cheaper in the UK... *shrug*

I like your description of "edge" to the sound and full-on tube distortion... man, I wish I could get my hands on one just to try it!

9. Does yours have 6550's or KT88's just curious.

10. The VBA has 8 x 6550
    3 x ECC83
    1 x ECC82

11. Harrod

Harrod

Feb 3, 2004
    hey i was looking at getting a marshall 4x12 to go with my mesa boogie m-pulse venture 600w bass head i was wondering what wattage rating the cab has cus i cannot find it anywhere???

12. The VBC 4x12 cab is 4 ohms and is rated at 400watts rms.

13. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    i own a vba 400 too,had it for 3and a half years it "ROCKS THE HOUSE" i replaced the pre amp valves though, didnt think the factory ones were up to much ,it packs a wallop with jj tesla ec83s and a philips ecc82 in there place,it also runs through a mesa boogie 1x15 400w.have a looky

14. Nice very nice, when i get a photo I'll bang mine up too