Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Thinking about an all tube stack up to about £2000.00 has anyone tried out the Marshall VBA amp or has anyone a recommendation for me to try out. I'm using Ashdown mag amp & cabs at the moment, but don't really fancy an AMB set up.

Stu

2. Haven't tried the model you referenced.

I had at on time a Marshall bass stack. Don't recall the amp name (in the '80s, all tube, Super Bass?) with 2x4-15 cabinets.

Didn't care for it much . Tone controls didn't do much and the cabs vibrate about as much as the drivers. Maybe things are better now.

Ahh, the old days . . . Marshall stack w/8 15s and an SVT w/16 10s and Ric in stereo. Uh, what'd you say? Speak in my good ear.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used my Girlfriend's Marshall bass amp while I was in between amps a couple of years ago. I can remember the model but it was a Tube/solid state Hybrid, all Gold and pretty loooking, 400W at 2 ohms.

It wasn't as bad as I though it was goung to be. I pulled a decent sound out of it wit some pretty heavy tweaking. Then it went POP! There were no external fuse holders so I figured the problem was more sinister. So I took it to a repairer.

Turns out Marshall in their wisdom put the fuse INSIDE the amp. And it was positioned so that when it blew, it took out the surrounding components. It was a $100 Aus. repair job.

As I was handing over the money I asked "What should I do to prevent this happening again?'. The answer was "There is nothing you can do. Marshalls are notorious for this". Apparently their guitar amps have the same problem.

So I asked the obvious question "If they're notorious for it, how come thay sell all those amps?"
    They just shrugged their shoulders!

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're a guitar player and you've played through a Marshall stack you'd know why they sell so many amps. I don't even play guitar and I love Marshall guitar amps (though I don't really like the new ones). Don't know much about their bass amps though.

5. the guitar amps preamps are bassed around the fender bassman. a bass amp .so its our fault there so loud.

6. Thanks PeteBass, It's a question I'll ask, the fuse thing. The Hybrid amps you talk about sounded pretty good I tried them a few years ago. Yeah the guitar amps are rather loud but then... so is my bass amp and my band are a bit Sinal Tap !

Stu

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are two reviews of the VBA on www.harmonycentral.com and two on www.bgra.net

I wonder if anyone in the states actually stocks this beast? A VBA400 with two 412 cabinets would be cool!!!

I used to have a Marshall Major head (4xKT88) and I wish I still did:bawl:

8. Thanks for the info BillyB, I have checked out the links, the bass review place was great never knew it existed. After reading those reviews it sounds just what I want. Thanks again

Stu