1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marta Altesa

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skygoneblue, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Has anyone else stumbled across Marta Altesa on YouTube? She primarily does covers of Jamiroquai and a few other bands, but WOW! She makes such stellar use of ghost notes and her playing is just rife with rhythm and groove. It's rare to find such high quality covers with good playing AND good tone.

Check her out if you haven't yet!

maco_n likes this.
  2. I'd never seen her posts before, thanks for putting it up. Yeah, she's a great player with great time, technique and tone... her bass sounds stellar too... 'course, it's an EBMM Stingray 5, so I would expect her tone to be incredible. They're just amazing sounding basses.

3. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
  4. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    She just had a video featured on notreble.com's FB page today. Crazy, she's only been playing for 3 years.

Plus she's pretty smokin'.

5. She's very good, without a doubt, though I don't quite buy that she's only been playing for 3 years (I know she says so on her you tube page). Perhaps she's been playing bass for 3 years, but I'm sure she's had some previous musical training.

6. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I could see it being true if she's had some serious lessons with a good bassist in that time.

Her slap technique is pretty damn good. The Michael Jackson cover was impressive. At three years into playing my slap technique could have been called "bumbling" at best.

7. I just did some research and my observations were right. She's had musical training since she was very young (father is a piano player).

Anyway, she can definitely play.

8. arg2241

arg2241 Guest

Mar 29, 2013
    Denver, CO
    just discovered her last week, she's just fantastic!

9. sonakord

sonakord

Jun 29, 2010
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree she's pretty good, but I have to ask - would she get the same buzz if she were a 300-pound, 50-year-old male who had started playing 3 years ago?

MrLenny1, tindrum and Eikari like this.
  11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Nice, and really enjoy "Time Won't Wait" from her page! It makes for good background sounds-when perusing TB. :D

12. Pow

Pow

May 19, 2013
    Hmm :meh::meh: . . . I find these comments to be very strange. Some people who pick up an instrument for the first time just GET IT. Other people have a much harder time. Not everyone is the same as you, and not everyone learns at the same rate.

Someone doesn't NEED "lessons with a good bassist" to become good at bass, nor does someone NEED a prior musical background to become good at playing music on a new instrument in a short amount of time.

People are wired differently.

I laugh when people say things like "I've been playing [instrument] for 30+ years", like it's some sort of credential.

Well, Miles Davis began his musical studies at 13, and was playing professionally 3 years later.

Number of years playing means NOTHING.

arbiterusa likes this.
  13. John Ewers

John Ewers

Apr 13, 2013
    20 years old and has been playing for only 3 years? She is an awesome bassist and beautiful too!

14. SpiggyTopes

SpiggyTopes

Feb 14, 2010
    No doubt this young woman has wonderful technique and style. I'd like to see out front of a band of equals. :bassist:

15. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Mmm...probably yes, but not so much buzz from people who don't care about the musicianship. Ask yourself if you'd feel the same way had it been a good looking boy. Plenty of examples around us, such as 47-year old Susan Boyle that confirm to me that talent is recognized rather objectively:

16. nobo

nobo

Mar 9, 2010

Yes, but only because she's just invited, obviously not playing live with jamiroquai (for now... 2018 perhaps, who knows..).

Hdroberts question is a good one, but only for Tal ;) (marta is cute, groove, but there is thousand of better bass players out there)

17. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    No doubt that Marta's attractive and a damn good bass player to boot, but why didn't we see clips of her playing with Jamiroquai? And, what would she be like doing her own basslines to a chord progression. Me can't help think that some of it is contrived, given that she wears the same outfit on every vid.. What is it with that?

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    + 1 to pretty much every post here.

And while I agree that if she were some fat dude nobody would care, I want to drop a somewhat related note in regard to Tal.

I was fortunate enough to be at NAMM the year she was "discovered". For anyone who's been to NAMM you know it is loaded with thousands upon thousands of virtuoso musicians shredding away at every corner you turn. Starts to actually get boring by the 3rd day. Anyoo... pretty sure it was my 3rd day there, and I was at a stand checking something when I heard some really awesome grooves coming from right around the corner. Nothing was impressing me at this point, but there was some true heart and soul happening and I really wanted to see what the dude looked like who was playing. Yeah, I pictured some black guy in his 60s :) , and I was completely floored to see a little girl there. I couldn't believe what was coming out of her. 6 months later she was famous.

Point... well, I guess the being a girl helped her to become famous super quickly, but trust me when I tell ya she would be successful regardless. She has a gift that really stood out amoungst thousands, to me at least.

19. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    What do you mean by "same outfit" in every video ?

2zyc5qc.