Marta Altesa

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skygoneblue, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Presentation is a MAJOR factor.

These basslines are not difficult. So why not have some eye-candy along with it?

I certainly do NOT want to watch some fat, ugly person (male or female). Sorry - a FACT of LIFE - look around. Deal with it.

:eek:

2. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    She's mediocre enough to play with Herbie Hancock.

You're not speaking any 'truth' I know of...

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

3. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Chameleon isn't exactly a difficult bassline! Come on..

bass nitro likes this.
  4. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    YES!!

All perfectly stated.:)

5. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    :rollno:

It'd be nice if you actually knew what a logical fallacy was before you tried to use it in an internet post ;)

6. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    http://youtu.be/ZoPd4EEVKFg why her, why not this dude? I don't see Jamiroquai extending him any invites. Or this guy:

Oh...yeah maybe because she isn't....

Don't try to win this argument, it's a lost cause.

Truth is truth, everything else is...well, you can fill in the blanks.

;)

7. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    :meh:

How much clearer can I write it, in plain english I said "Tal is a good player".

8. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I said TAL IS A GOOD PLAYER. It doesn't change what I wrote earlier though. You gotta ask yourself though - how did she get put in front of Jeff Beck in the first place?

I know a guy who at age 15 had Donna Lee, Teen Town, John Coltranes solo on Giant Steps, the head to Got A Match, etc, etc ,etc he could play anything, solo over any jazz tune you put in front of him, play literally anything.

You know what he did after he graduated music school? He became a barista. How much more of a pedigree do you need than win the downbeat award for best jazz soloist and to record an album with Peter Erskine right out of high school, John Pattitucci so impressed by you that he gifts you one of his signature basses.

I guarantee if he'd been a cute girl - different story.

9. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    She was already at the studio and wasn't "put in front of him." It's not like she was stripping.

10. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    You can interpret what I wrote in that way and make whatever associations you want if you choose to. Your interpretation doesn't change my question. Was it a chance meeting?

My point is that there are lots of other bass players with her skill level, why didn't they get the call for that gig? Why are some of these dudes scrounging around for a $50.00 gig?

Anyways you don't have to take my word for it. Here's what Janek Gwizdala has to say about it

"Tal is a fantastic bass player, has a great pocket, and is a huge talent in music, not just in the bass.

The reality of the music industry however, no matter how great you are, is who you know. You need to hang out with the right people, have a certain attitude, and of course have your playing together too. But playing has become somewhat of a secondary thing in a lot of scenes.

You can't take anything away from Tal. She's done everything perfectly. She's studied her instrument very hard, and has hung out in all the right circles. I know that she's great friends with Vic, Otiel, Steve, anthony, will, krantz, kenwood, hiram, and all the cats. And I think meeting vinnie Colaiuta probably helped her out a lot in getting the chick corea and jeff beck gigs.

Does age and sex play a part? sure. her and I have talked about that before actually. She hates telling people how old she is because she would rather be known for her playing rather than a young cute chick that plays great. I don't think she has a lot to worry about. She won't be young forever, she sounds really good, and she has some great gigs. I'm sure people will, if they don't already, respect her for her music and for her personality.

If there was nothing there musically then I might have a lot of sh*t to talk about her being young and cute. But she really is a great musician, and isn't kidding anyone. You don't need me to tell you that, just listen to her play, it speaks for itself.
    "

I think that says it all.

Just recall, that I said she's a GOOD PLAYER.

11. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Jul 2, 2012
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can shag off
    This girl, young lady, whatrver has talant and is dialed in. In my opinion she put her time in or is one of those people that can pick up an instrument and just tear it up.
    Now, it sounds after reading she studied snd practiced...

12. breen gurdy

breen gurdy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    NYC
    I know this has probably been said about 100 times throughout this thread but I really believe one of the big reasons she is where she is is because she is indeed a very beautiful girl. There are tons and tons of dudes that have been out there playing every hole in the wall club/bar and she gets asked to go on a run with Jamiroquai in South America?? Come on now...Her youtube vids went viral because she's good looking...one of the dudes in the band probably wanted to invite her on tour simply to "woe" her and make his move on her. Now she probably gets asked to play a ton of gigs because she can hold a groove well and the main fact is she's BEAUTIFUL.

13. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    This one looks like a fashion-model.

I rest my case: "Presentation is EXTREMELY important"

:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Yes, the photos are excellent. But the million-dollar question is: have you heard her play and sing ? She's gooooood. And she can SING !!! I'm still trying to play "Can't stand losing you" and sing at the same time, and she's doing it like it's a walk in the park. And she looks great as well. :D

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

She's also a Berklee student, if I recall correctly. I'm sure she's thinking about Esperanza's footsteps.

17. funkytown

funkytown

Aug 2, 2012
    So Janek Gwizdala says
    1)Tal is a fantastic bass player, has a great pocket, and is a huge talent in music, not just in the bass.
    2)She's studied her instrument very hard
    3)has hung out in all the right circles
    4)she's great friends with Vic, Otiel, Steve, anthony, will, krantz, kenwood, hiram, and all the cats.
    5)she really is a great musician, and isn't kidding anyone.
    6) meeting vinnie Colaiuta probably helped her out a lot in getting the chick corea and jeff beck gigs

and out of all that you got
    "she's a cute chick so she got the jeff beck gigs"

GregC and One Drop like this.
  18. funkytown

funkytown

Aug 2, 2012
    Also, Tal was already a solo artist endorsed by sadowsky and was playing in jazz clubs in NY plus had written and recorded her Transformation cd before she got any gigs with Chick Corea or Jeff Beck.

19. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I really can't understand all the arguments about this stuff.

Marta is a decent player with a decent groove from what I can tell, not a virtuoso.
    I saw Alissia Benveniste at a Berklee event. Good student player, will be a good pro someday.

I saw Tal with Vinnie Colaiuta and Oz Noy, she is the real deal. Amazing sense of rhythm, dynamics and pacing, she completely deserves to be where she is, based on playing alone. Completely different category than those other two players.

bass nitro likes this.
  20. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    “There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...” ~ Some Guy.

lennon+caricatura.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021