Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nuk3m, May 9, 2005.

1. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I was just wondering who of you fellow talk bassers is currently or previously trained in martial arts, and if so what?

Just wondering if there is a favored martial arts amoung you aswell...

thanks guys
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I do aerobics. So dont make me kick your butt with my step and weights... ok?
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    3rd kyu Judo, which isn't that good.
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  5. I started kickboxing half a year.Would love to start muay thai after a while.

The trainer told me i've got talent.

Just like to add: i'm a pacifist and do it for fun only.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I created my own martial art. It's called "step in toim" and it's based on the movements of Dick Van Dyke's character from Mary Poppins. It's wicked deadly.

I'm also skilled in the marital arts.

brad cook
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have in the past, but don't anymore. I want to again though.
  8. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i do krav maga. not an art form though.
  9. i've been training since about 1996 started when i was 9.... I did the first ~4-5 in plain ole Karate, where I competeed mostly around western Canada. Then we moved away, I lost my trainer. I then started training myself and in early 2001 I picked up kickboxing. I won the 130 pound Canadian kickboxing title in April 2001, followed by a provincial title October 2001. I lost both those titles when I retired ( at the tender age of 17 ;) ) In early 2004.

There was always way to much stress involved in the sport for me. I had a really good future, I was fighting people that had my age in experience as a young teen(14). I always had a lot of pressure on me. However, I really wish I would have been pushed further to proform, and stick with the sport. It's typical me to get to the top of something then quit.

If you have kids(even as young as 4) you should get them into karate, judo, anything like that, builds confidence, disipline, and if they decide to compete having the extra experience really helps. I however plan to keep my kids out of that game, unless its something they want, I felt way too much stress and pressure.
  10. I took 8 years of Tae Kwon Do but that is not for self defense. I've also trained in CQB.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Aikido. I got convinced after seeing an eighty year old man toss a pro linebacker across the room. At the moment I'm waiting for medical clearance to resume.
  12. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Okinawan Ryukyu Kempo Karate for several years as a child. Full-contact PKA Karate and Muay Thai throughout college.

I pretty much gave it up after getting married. I miss it sometimes.

My son just started Shaolin Kung Fu and is loving it.
  13. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Tai Chi Chuan, but it's been hard for me to find the time to dedicate to it. Full time day job with weird hours kinda puts a damper on things.
  14. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Tai Chi(Yang, long form)
    Some Karate
    and some judo

Looking at Krav Maga since it is now available in my city.
  15. 2 years Shaolin Kung Fu
    3 years Aikido
    2 years Isshinryu Karate
    3 years Kenpo Karate
    2 years Ninjutsu :ninja:
  16. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I spent two years Trainning in Shotokan. Made it to third kyu Brown Belt. Went from that to a dojo that trained you in a combined martial art Kempo/Judu/Kung Fu. Did that for a bout a year and a half. I spent a couple of years in Kick-Boxing as well.

I found that when I would spar I would end up boxing and using what Judo I had learned. I never used any blocking and rarely used any kicking techniques (except knee strikes) that I was taught.
  17. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I have a gold belt in Shudokan Karate.

18. How intense of a workout would kickboxing be ? I'm looking for something that is also a great workout to keep me in shape. If I go to paying for lessons/practice it needs to be worth the time I give up now for exercising since I've been losing weight.
  19. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I took a little Aikido(my uncle is a sensei) and I did a little Ninjutsu...I'd like to do it more but I just don't have time.