1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Martin acoustic bass which strings ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Phil Cathey, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Phil Cathey

Phil Cathey

Feb 3, 2008
    Does anyone know the best sounding strings to play on an Martin acoustic bass ? ?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Phosphor Bronze jumps to mind. I've used Martin strings on my six string before, I imagine they make bass strings too.

3. Phil Cathey

Phil Cathey

Feb 3, 2008
    I have tryed the standard Martin bass strings but I was hoping to here of something better.

4. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    I play a Tacoma Thunderchief, and I am using D'Darrio Phosphor Bronze acoustic bass strings and like them well enough.

I would like to try other strings just for the sake of trying.

But I have not seen many choices for the aucoustic bass guitar, and I have never been disappointed with any set of D'Darrio strings, bass, guitar or mandolin.

And I have never liked any Martin strings so I have not tried the bass strings.

With the guitar if I don't like a set of strings it only cost me $5-8, but bass strings feel like more of an investment.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I use and like Elixer coated acoustic bass strings on my Martin B-1. They last a long time too.

6. Phil Cathey

Phil Cathey

Feb 3, 2008
    I will try them some time soon.

7. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    i like "Normal" fender tapewounds on it .....

8. Phil Cathey

Phil Cathey

Feb 3, 2008
    Normal ?? The fendor tape wound is what I have it on now. What I have on my upright is Eurosonic a synthetic gut smooth coated. I didn't know if there was something on the market kinda of like that.

9. I don't really like the zing of the phosphor-bronze strings my Martin came with so I've put a set of TI flats on. Minor volume loss when playing acoustically but (for me) a very pleasing sound when amplified.

The flats have less sustain, a little more thud and seem to bring out the sound of the wood. To me it sounds a lot more like an upright and works well for jazz and traditional C&W.

10. +1

I have TI Jazz Flat's on my Tacoma Thunderchief and pretty much echo Ozroscoe's statement.

11. Phil Cathey

Phil Cathey

Feb 3, 2008
    TI ? Is that the name I ask for ?