1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Martin Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freyja, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Freyja

Freyja

Apr 17, 2000
    I'm trying to decide between the Martin B-1E and the BC-15E....aside from the obvious cutaway, what are the differences between the two? Their specs seem pretty similar....

Does anyone here own one? What are your thoughts/experiences? How would you compare them tone-wise?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played a Martin acoustic bass. A friend of a friend had one and I played it for quite some time actually.

My Tacoma absolutely kills the Martin I played.

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I played a martin acoustic, and really for they price, is sucked. Granted it had a very old set of strings on, but there was not enough volume to justify the price, as you would need to amplify it anyway, I like the tacomas.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    got a CB-10 with the Fishman. Plays nicely, blows the Martin's away from a tonal and punch perspective. Records well. I'm thinking of adding a Fretless into the mix as well.

My .02

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    An old bass teacher of mine had the non-cutaway version. I played it and liked it. I tried to get him to sell it to me, but he wouldn't.

So, I bought one of my own, but got the cutaway version. Can't say I remember a difference in tone between the two, but when I bought mine, it had been a year or two since I had played his.

I thought the tone was outstanding. It wasn't really loud enough to keep up with acoustic guitars though. I didn't know that when I ordered it, and that's where I made a mistake. There were two versions of the Fishman pickup and electronics available. I got the cheaper one. It sounded like crap when plugged in. Sounded great acoustically, but not loud enough to jam with others acoustically.