Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Martin Alternative X Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-shy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I just bought one today. I have been gassing for one of these for the last year or so, and every time I go to the local music store, I play one for at least an hour. So far, I am very pleased but I haven't had a chance to plug it in to my rig yet. When I get a chance, I will post a full review. I seem to remember someone else on TB buying one, but numerous reviews on the same bass are never bad, right?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. About 6 Variax threads come to mind.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    OK. Now I have had sufficient time to play my beautiful new bass. First, let me tell you that there has never been a bass this visually striking and magnificent to behold. Absolutely perfect. The figuring on the aluminum top is random, but seems to flow with the rest of the bass. The feel is incredible. The neck contour is perfect for my long fingers and perfectly smooth. There is a tendency for the neck to dive a little while strapped on, but considering the body dimensions, (000 thin body), and 34.25" scale length, this is acceptable. The action appears to be a little high at first but by depressing the low E at the first and last fret, it becomes clear that this is one well adjusted animal. Playing solo acoustic, the volume is audible enough to hear clearly, and is punchy and full. I would feel comfortable playing alongside a guitarist without amp support as long as he wasn't a heavy strummer. The bass response is surprisingly deep and rich, not at all what I was expecting from such a slim bodied acoustic. Also, the tone is sweet and warm in spite of the cold, stark aluminum top. Plugged in, the electronics prove to be guite versatile. Output is higher than some electric basses with active electronics, and the tones range from dub worthy bass to zingy top end sizzle, with plenty of solid and usable tones between the two extremes. The Fishman Prefix Pro Bass preamp is said to have been designed exclusively for this bass and sports the Martin moniker alongside the Fishman one. The battery compartment is also very easily accessed via a rotating door in the black HPL side. Strung with a new set of nickel roundwounds, the feel is closer to an electric bass than an acoustic and the tone doesn't have a hint of that "big ole guitar" tone that so many of us dread. All in all, I have to say that this is one sweet bass. For a little under a grand, (Martin hardshell case included), it is certainly possible to do a lot worse.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Hey.......thanks for all the support and replies.......

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sweet, that looks really cool, and apparently met your sound standards as well. Congratz on the fine purchase :)