Martin B1E Acoustic Bass - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlstephens, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mlstephens

Oct 30, 2004
    Getting ready to purchase an acoustic bass and have it down
    to two either a Tacoma or a Martin B1E. Anyone familiar with
    either of these? Any and all opinions are as always most welcome.
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I played a mahogany Martin and a Tacoma. The construction and feel/playability of the Martin was top-notch, as was the Tacoma. I liked 'em both -- not enough to differentiate the two.

I was primarily interested in unplugged sound, and the Tacoma had much more volume. The Martin (perhaps because it was mahogany) had a nice tone that was warm, but was more subdued. A very sweet tone, to be sure, but it left me wanting more oomph, especially in the lower register. The Tacoma gave me more of what I was looking for over the range of the bass.

I bought a Tacoma 5-string, and I'm completely happy. I just finished playing it for a few hours, and it still amazes me. Nothing wrong with the Martin, but for the amount of money you're spending, you should really play them both, preferably as closely as possible time-wise (chronologically).

There are other basses, as well, to look at in this price range. Others on this board can better help you with that. You should probably also state what you want this bass for, primarily -- unplugged at home? unplugged in a small gig with one g*itar? plugged in? What you want to use the bass for will play a HUGE role in which is the best ABG for YOU.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I am a Martin nut, and have never lived my life without at least one of their fine acoustic guitars in the place. I believe no Guitar company in the world has produced half as many fine guitars as Martin and they just keep doing it. BUT, If I was buying an Acoustic bass the Tacoma would be my first choice, it seems to cut thru better acoustically (none of them are great at this) and has better electronics. The physics make it really hard to make an acoustic that cuts thru even with a couple of guitars at a campfire. Theirs just so much air to move.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I also own a B-1 and I agree with Burk. The Tacoma is louder, but the Martin is my favorite. I looooooooooove the smell of my Martin when I take it out of the case.
  5. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    There isn't a really good production model acoustic bass guitar on the market because the designs emphasis all the wrong things. Low action, comfortable small body, lots of frets, etc. Those factors make the basses sound bad, thin and weak.