1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Martin Brunkalla German bow - back on market

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bows' started by LouisF, Jan 21, 2018.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Price:
    $1200.00
    Style:
    German
    A terrific German bow; made of osage. Recently rehaired. The bow was sold to a European play, but got held up in customs and returned.

It's a long bow (@ 28" tip to screw; 23" hair length) and relatively light @ 124 grams. Excellent balance and extremely comfortable. Martin sent me 4 bows to choose from and this was (for me the best). Most of his osage bows are significantly heavier.
    $1200 + shipping and I'm happy to send out on trial.

About Martin below. Thanks!
    Louis

Attached Files:

LaFaro01 and John Chambliss like this.
  2. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Louis, just a heads up that the pictures you posted are kinda on the small side, making it tough to really see the bow and its details.

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Phil. I'll get some more up over the weekend!
    Best wishes

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Arcus and Brunkalla bows are out on trial. Thanks

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    could you tell me a little bit more about the characteristics of this interesting bow, compared to more common pernambuco bows and/or (perhaps??) carbon bows? It seems to be an interesting design...:)
    Unfortunately the website of Martin Brunkalla seems to be down..:(

7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi,

Thanks for your interest. The bow is very elegant and refined with a warm, rich tone and a very easy response on the string; very good bounce and spiccato. The bow is a bit on the long side, but for over two years I used in all circumstances: opera, chamber music and full orchestra and every one was very impressed with the sound it pulled from both my carved and hybrid bass. Here are two links with more information. Martin Brunkalla is one of the great unsung American luthiers. I only gave it up because after some major neck surgery three years ago I found myself with a collection of eleven bows (!) which I am whittling down to four. For the money, the Brunkalla is one of the best,
    Louis

Martin Brunkalla: Osage Orange

Osage Orange Bow (new & innovative!!)

LaFaro01 likes this.
  8. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    thanks a lot for this informations and your fast reply.. it sounds very interesting and "not too bad" ;)