Martin Guitar Documentary

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Oct 3, 2016.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I will find time to watch this. I like Martin's almost as much as I like Taylors.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Here's the thing about Taylors... We know what a 75yo Martin sounds like. We're still learning about how a Taylor's tone ages.

3. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Dude, I am not about to get into a pissing match between what is better. It really comes down to different strokes for different folks. I own a Taylor 314c, GS-Mini & Martin LX1. I love all 3 but my FAV is the GS-Mini btw it's made out of Koa.

4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    No pissing match from me. Just saying that a 1930s D is like a '59 sunburst Les Paul. It's at the top of the collectors list. And when you buy a new D28 you know what you'll be handing down to your grandkids.

5. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Yeah but unless I have "stupid" money I won't be collecting. They sound good and cool looking but I rather have new windows installed and siding than spend 1000's on a vintage guitar.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I hear ya. Even new Martin's are overpriced and on the lowend guitars you pay more for the name. I like Taylors. It'll be interesting to hear what a 50yo Taylor sounds like. They do some cool wood combinations so it'll be cool to hear what those woods sound like with the pores open for 50ys and the finish breaking down.

7. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Koa is so sexy I broke my rule about buying before trying. They only had one left and I checked since buying it and they haven't re-stocked since. Take that plus how she sounds me a happy camper!

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Nice! I have a 6 string Koa Carvin from the 90s. I dig Koa.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Owning a D28 in on my bucket list. I have a 1956 Gibson J50 that every time I play it, the tone says, "play some acoustic blues licks, please."

10. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    My other passion is vintage Martin guitars. :) Here's a teaser: (can't find the pictures of the rest of it) :facepalm:

20160926_174030.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Ghastly and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  11. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    cool doc. :thumbsup: