Martin Heidegger's Introduction to Metaphysics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Wow. I read quite a bit of philosophy, but no book has ever utterly flattened me as the first thirty pages of this did today. In it, I find justification for studying philosophy.

Heidegger is an absolute genius and should be read by anyone remotely interested. I can't wait to dig into Being and Time sometime later, though that will probably tax my brain for all it's worth.

Any other Heidegger (or other German philosophy) fans?
  2. Um...excuse me? This is TALKBASS OFFTOPIC we're in. Almost all of these people could NOT understand half the words you just said. I don't even know how to say half of your name.

:D ;)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I studied "Being and Time" in the last year of my degree - all the people on my course were very much into Heidegger, but we were often thrown by the long "compound words" - so this is second nature to German Speakers, but doesn't translate very well into English.

So - there are some amazing concepts, but this fact of translation means it's very heavy-going to read without commentary.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do a search and you'll find that out..

brad cook
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah that guy's hilarious...

"The other day I went to the store to buy a candleholder but they didn't have I bought a cake."

Oh wait...that's Hedberg...Hedberg, Heidegger...what's the difference.

brad cook
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah! That was a cool contest that I had!

Bruce- I agree with the translation thing. Translator had to make a new word- essents, which are things that exist- in the book I'm reading. The translation seems to be a hard one- German to English.
  7. Doc Slow

Doc Slow

Jul 21, 2004
    from all over..
    If you like Heidegger, try Rene Guenon - "The Reign of Quantity & the Signs of the Times"

-- "Probably the most penetrating and scathing onslaught of the Modern World to be written from the perspective of cyclical order of time in the Twentieth Century by a French mathematician who converted to Islam and who articulated the perennial philosophy with an extraordinary insight and foresight."

There seem to be no references indicating that he was ever a bass player.

8. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I found "Being and Time" tough going -- and I eventually got a Masters in Philosophy! The way it all flips back around on itself made me a bit nuts, and moved my studies more in the direction of political philosophy...

Gotta say, though, that "Heidegger" was about the very last name I'd be finding a Talkbass post topic.... You guys are an intersting bunch!