Martin Mendez

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pete&petelives, Mar 17, 2006.

1. pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    I searched around a bit on this forum and didn't see much about Martin Mendez and I was pretty surprised. Opeth is basically the only metal band I like and I think Mendez does a pretty impressive job on the albums he's been on and on their "Lamentations" DVD (for those of you who've seen it it seems like he digs poppin' and slappin', as he goes off doing little slap riffs between a bunch of the songs:) ) I think he really shines. I'm a big fan of jazz and funk mostly, and a few rock bands, but Mendez's fingerstyle basslines brought me to Opeth and they've become one of my favorite bands (but I still don't like metal in general :bag: ) Any other big fans of Mendez on TB?
  2. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I love his playing too. One of the most underrated bassists IMO. Those jazz basses he owns sound fantastic. There was a song on the new album...I think it's Ghost of Perdition where it sounds like he's playing a fretless....whatever he's playing it sounds incredible.
    Opeth is one of my favorite bands too. I listen to them almost everyday, partly because I don't think there will ever be another band to sound alike IMO. Oh sure there are a lot of bands that are influenced by Opeth, but how many of those bands are talented enough to write like Mikael Akerfeldt?

3. ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    ya, i love his playing... I saw Opeth live at SOTU 2005, and they were great... although their songs are a little too long sometimes, for as to enjoy without getting high on something (thats what I thought in the concert, at least).
  4. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I like his playing, I just wish he'd work on his tone a bit so I could actually hear him! I don't know if he played it on the latest album, but Mendez has played fretless on certain songs (Face of Melinda is one that comes to mind...)
  5. Actually, the previous bassist was the one to use the fretless in songs such as To bid you farewell
  6. Opeth is my favorite band... by far.

Although their first bassist, Johan DeFarfalla, had a much more funky style, I prefer Mendez. He fits with the band better, in my opinion.

His playing doesn't stand out TOO much from the mix, adding just the right atmosphere to their music.

Mendez is one of my favorite bass players... :bassist:
  7. YES! Fabulous bassist. He knows just how much to complement a song. Awesome melodies! Some of my favorites are the intro to "The Drapery Falls" and "In My Time of Need." Opeth is a fabulous band overall, Akerfeldt's compositions never cease to amaze.

My all time favorite Opeth song as of yet is "April Ethereal"- a sh!t storm of double kick and melodic riffing, with some powerful, emotional growls and croons, and the last part is like hearing a painting. Shame Mendez didn't play on it...
  8. one of my favourites to, my favourite metal bassist for sure.. Martin played a fretless Jazz on ghost reveries, and a fretless samick on still life..
  9. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    He's great!

I really love how he and (Martin) Lopez play together on certain tracks. Although, I suspect that Mikael has a word or two in the writing of basslines. At least on the albums prior to Ghost Reveries.
    He really shines on that album though. Some really cool fills, and not too much over-the-top playing. Some might say that he plays too little or makes too little out of himself, but I see it as tastefulness.
  10. Awesome Band, Awesome Bassist
  11. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Mendez is a a great metal player, although I liked the previous bassist even better(Defarfalla). I thought his work on the Morningrise album was fantastic.