Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Martin solid electric basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Aug 30, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never played one of the basses. My brother owned one of the guitars for a couple of years. Good construction, good woods, Dimarzio pickups, switchable coils(single/series/parallel) and phase switch. A mind boggling array of tones. He sold it to a pawn shop for twice what he paid for it.:p

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When we were younger Bill Dickens had one.it wasn't a bad Bass.and all the ones I played were kool.it had sound similar to A Gibson solidbody Bass but not a Bass I was personaly interested in,and it wasn't a piece of junk either.if you can find one at a good price it wouldn't be a bad Bass to own.

3. I bought one from a pawn shop years ago, and could never get any sounds out of it that I really liked. I only bought it 'cos it was a Martin.

4. Interesting...possibly why they stuck with their acoustics, which are more than rather good...

and hey, Marty. How are you?

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I live right down the block from the factory here in Nazareth.

They do a nice tour where they take you through and show you the guitars in process and all the steps.

They have one of those electrics in a display case in the lobby of the factory.

Now, I don't know about those particular basses, but the quality control and systems they have in place and the detailed attention that goes into each piece is remarkable.

Except the X-series models, frankly, which have composite materials. Each instrument in that line is taken from begining to end by one worker. That's a nice way to go, but you don't see the specialization that you get with a shop focused in neck forming, bracing, finishing, etc. done on the other higher end models.

Anyway, they were sponsors at a huge festival i played a few weeks ago. They had a performer's lounge where you could sit and get ready before the set. They had some diplay models there to try out. There was a sweet BC-15E acoustic 4 string. Mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard and a Fishman prefix.

Awsome bass.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I played one at the store where I have my repairs done (Real Guitars) and found it quite unremarkable. I don't recall that it was horrible either, but there are better basses to be had.

7. Oh, well. Another fantasy down the tubes.

I have been a fan of Martin acoustics for a long time (and rejoice in an 000-1). It would be nice to think that the same feeling went into their electrics basses.