Martin Solidbody Bass models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Some dude is trying to convince me to trade my Fender MIM Jazz deluxe straight up for his Martin Bass. I haven't seen it yet. I told him I wasn't really looking to trade my bass, but that I would think about his offer.

Should I even look at this dude's bass? I forget some of the description, (sorry I am hungry!!!), but I remember he claimed it had Barts, a bone nut, and was mohogany. He further claimed that this bass usually sells for between $800 and $1200 depending on condition and options.

To me that seems a bit weird, if I owned a $800 bass, I wouldn't trade it for a $350 bass.

Anyways, did Martin (assuming it really is Martin) make decent basses? Should I even look?
  2. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Hey, I'd take I look if I could. Martin has made several attempts at solibody instruments from good (think Ibanez Alembic copy-ish) to abyssmal (the usual korean fender copy). If he'll let you play the axe before the trade is official, go for it. If he's gonna be an ass, the trade isn't worthwhile.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I still have a Martin bass that I got around 1983, it was a great bass at the time......great action/tone was more like a Alembic style. It's been in my closet with piccolo stings on it for years....that reminds me....I should check it out:D
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I decided not to check it out. I am already digging my Jazz, and this deal has a kind of suspicious stink to it...

It's kind of weird. My bass isn't even offered for sale anymore and the trade offers still roll in. Now it's up to 4 Ibanez and 1 Martin.