1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maruszczyk basses anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Craig, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Came across these on the net. Anybody have one? Designed by a German cat who is a superb player and manufactured in Poland. Lots of stuff about them on YouTube but couldn't find anything here. They look great and aren't as expensive as other boutique instruments with a ton of pick up, pre-amp, string and wood options. They are stocked at this place:
    http://public-peace.de/index.php/in-stock-291

2. Venomouscontrol

Venomouscontrol

Sep 22, 2012
    They sound just like any other Fender Jazz to me, nothing special, but I really do like the sound of their acoustic fretless.

3. xkomo

xkomo

Feb 6, 2011
    Greece
    Adrian Maruszczyk is a great guy and a great player too. I never had the chance to try any of his instruments but I read comments online which say that his basses are very well made and also sound fantastic!

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Great value for money but for me something is most certainly lacking.
    Somewhat crude in built and no refinement at all is what stood out to me.
    I tried their jazzus bass and whilst i liked the look on the website,-A LOT, as soon as i actually played it, all the initial attraction I had felt ,completely disappeared.
    This impression has stood on a number of Adrians instruments.
    He is a very nice guy though and has a real nice show room too.
    So I would absolutely buy from him!
    His jazz basses were ok and those i would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone on a budget.

5. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I currently have a bass on order! :hyper:

I will comment as soon as it arrives.

6. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    I orderd a bass from Adrian Maruszczyk and he was a pleasure to deal with. We spoke through email about all the options and the whole process was a pleasure.

The price was around 1800$ new with nice options (see below). The quality is around Fender USA level. Very good sound and playability (but I always do a fret level and setup for a new bass and I don't remember how it played straight from the factory).

Unfortunately my bass developed a little issue with the truss rod which keeps maxing out. The bass to me has a slightly plastic vibe and it doesn't always feel very luxurious. But there is nothing 'wrong' with it either. Because of all the options below, it's my favorite bass (lightweight, medium scale, narrow string spacing, balanced active jazz bass).

You won't easily find an equally nice bass with your custom specs within this price range. It's a good bass overall. It's an excellent bass if you want certain specs. If I wanted standard specs I would probably go with something else, but if you are looking for some custom options then Maruszczyk is an excellent option.

Specs:
    Maruszczyk Elwood L5, little over 7 lbs, birdseye maple fretboard, 32" scale length, Hipshot tuners, ETS bridge with adjustable spacing, Glockenklang preamp, Delano pickups.
    vHhFwI7.

Bthebassplayer likes this.
  7. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    I played a few of his basses in a store, a PJ "Elwood" (?) and a couple of Frogs. I liked them all, while of course the Frog was much closer to my personal idea of bass.

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Why not, or Why ? If there is one available and you can get a good deal, why not. If you can get one of equal quality for a good deal easier, why ?

The sad (or glad) fact is that P and J basses at all price and quality points have become as common as $99 Stratocasters, so unless a particular maker offers something special in price or quality or uniqueness, (unlikely) there are lotsa fish in the Fender style bass sea. Whoa there's a bunch. Heavens yes, bunches and oodles. Goo gobs. gazillions. Uh huh.

9. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
  10. slyb5

slyb5 Supporting Member

I got 4 maruszczyk (elwood 5 absolution, 4 custom, elwood L 5 and jake 4) I have always been very happy with my basses. Only the absolution is a bit on the heavy side but its look balance that drawback.
    My daily working bass is an elwood L. I can play hours without feeling bad with my back and shoulders.
    The best aspect of having a maruszczyk is that you can customize absolutely everything at order (or even few options for those in stock) Quality wise never had an issue. Look wise...check my photos on TB, soundwise, I always order specific delano pickups and get the sound I want.

11. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Just discovered this brand, and this guy! His work (and playing) looks awesome to me! Please, post more info... I have a GAS for his Barabass combo amplifier!! Looks stuning! Any info on this amp?

12. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
  13. Egbert89

Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Holland
    Checking in as a proud Maruszczyk Elwood 4p owner.
    Maruszczyk build jazz pups, 3TS, alder body with maple top and I requested the maple for the neck to be a bit red giving it a more "aged" look.
    I'm really happy with the bass! Mine only has one imperfection, the ring around one of the tuners is not completely flush however, the tuner is mounted solid and the bass stays in tune so that's the most important :)
    First picture is my current rig, mic'd out in the studio

14. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    I found these intriguing because they will build a medium scale option, but ultimately I decided a Warmoth build would probably be a safer choice for me at an equivalent price (and made in USA).

I'd love to see more feedback on the Maruszczyks though. The Mr. Tee looks particularly intriguing. Wish Warmoth would offer a short scale Tele bass body!

15. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations! So how do those pups sound? And hows the weight?

16. Egbert89

Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Holland
    Thnx, the pups sound great, well balanced imho and not really HiFi but a nice slightly growly sound (hard to describe for me in English). I was really looking for the old school Hendrix kind of sound and I've found it with these pups (IMHO ;) )
    The weight is good, haven't weighed it but I can easily have it around my neck a couple of hours. Balance is good as well, no neck dive or anything.

17. Egbert89

Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Holland
    Played over a Barabass once, when Adrian (Maruszczyk's owner/founder) had a workshop in a bar near me.
    Sounded really good, but I played it with one of his basses, so couldn't compare it with my own bass or his bass on a different amp....

18. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Just got my custom 30" scale bass . Elwood 4A. This bas is sick. 7.2 LBS
    SOUNDs AWESOME . THANKS
    ADRIAN . 20161026_144203. 20161026_144153.

Attached Files:

RedHotFuzz likes this.
  19. Nice bass and specs!! I want to order a 5 string medium scale too (33 inch) and I was wondering if you could tell more about sound and playability of the 32 inch.

If you still have it sorry, didn't look at the date when you posted it