Maruszczyk vs Mayones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBlue, Feb 8, 2019.

1. BassBlue

BassBlue Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I know it's probably too late for that (pretty sure it is as I ordered and paid a half the money for deposit), but I hope I made the right decision on Maruszczyk Elwood C. Having second thoughts whether I should had ordered Mayones Jabba 4 instead. I started digging in into Mayones brand a bit more and also like what I am seeing and hearing (on YouTube). What do you guys/gals think? Thanks in advance!

It is the extended time of waiting for it to get built that pops these type of questions/doubts into my mind.

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Seems like YOU should be answering that question for US. Chicago Music Exchange is probably one of the few places on Earth where you can actually play them back-to-back.

MCF, TolerancEJ and BassBlue like this.
  3. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Malthumb, I think you are somewhat right. They (CME) have few Mayones basses in stock (but not Jazz copy - Jabba) and had a used Maruszczyk Elwood at some point. I don't think that's the case currently. My Elwood is 1.5 months into the built so at the end I'm getting an Elwood, but will go to CME to try the Jabba 4 (if they got one) and compare the two when I get my custom one. I was just curious if anyone else have had the opportunity to play both and came with some conclusion...

malthumb likes this.
  4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Last time I was there I played a Maruszczyk 5-string (don’t know what model) and two Mayones Jabba 5 strings. It took a lot of willpower to not leave with a Mayones Jabba 5.

bassclef04 and BassBlue like this.
  5. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    CME is not a Maruszczyk dealer (only Mayones) so you must have played a used Maruszczyk. Not sure how that would affect your decision making though. What was the main reason you would like Mayones versus Maruszczyk? Just curious.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I played a lot of basses that day. The Maruszczyk was one of the first. I also played Sadowsky, Sandburg, and a few brands that escape my memory at this time. I don’t recall much about the Maruszczyk. Not that it was bad. I didn’t play a bad bass that day. It’s more a matter of the Mayones and a couple of the Sandbergs standing out above the others that I remember.

For the Mayones, it was a combination of tone, super light weight, and build quality that stood out. The Sandbergs weren’t light weight, but tone and build quality were also top notch. I played a lot of Sandbergs because they had several different models and configurations. Some I liked, some not so much. The two that caught my attention were both 5-string PJ basses. Both Mayones basses were JJ. One Mayones was a burst, the other blue. Both finishes were just amazing.

I don’t recall what the string spacing was on either the Sandbergs or the Mayones basses, but I remember that I liked the playability most on those basses, as well as the evenness of tone across the strings. Again, I cannot recall how the Maruszczyk fared on those elements or in which areas it didn’t catch my interest as much as the Sandbergs and Mayones.

ThinCrappyTone and BassBlue like this.
  7. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you for your detailed response. I guess I'll have to wait and see (hear) when I get mine. Worst case scenario, Classified section it is. Otherwise, it's good to know that there are plenty of other options out there.

8. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’ve never played both but from what I’ve read and heard through many sound clips the Mayones are a little higher in quality all the way around.

9. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    Once I commit. I try not to look back.

davidprice likes this.
  10. Hah yeah, I always try not to look back. But when I do, I know I pulled the trigger to early...

campbems and murmur70 like this.
  11. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    No general answer can be given to your question. It will always depend on the individual bass.

TrustRod and malthumb like this.
  12. Mayones are built in Gdańsk .. Marusczyk near Zakopane ... Mayones cost two times in general the price of a Maruszczyk but I don’t believe they are two times better .. you did well

13. Why are you particularly interested in basses made in Poland...hhhmmm?

Mayones is an honest-to-god Boutique name, their prices reflect that.
    Maruszczyk is more of a quicker-build shop that might not use such fancy wood unless you want to pay for it. For example, I really, really want an Elwood Absolution. Those come with flame maple top & back with flame maple neck...but it’s mostly “A” flame maple and not “AAAA” flame maple, but I’m sure I can get it if I want. Mayones will only give you “AAAA” maple and you WILL pay for it.

This may affect pricing as well...Gdańsk (Danzig) is a huge port-city and probably has a high cost of living/operating.
    Maruszczyk instruments are made in the same factory as Mensinger guitars in the small town of Waksmund, which is closer to Poland’s southern border and kind of “in the middle of nowhere”...most likely much cheaper to operate there. Comparing the two cities would be like comparing New York City and Bath, NY.

BassmanM and BassBlue like this.
  14. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    To answer your first question, I was born in Poland and spent half of my life there (south east Poland). My roots are there and so is my family. I always (since I started playing bass in the US) dreamt of owning a bass from "home" and in 73 days, I'll fulfill the dream.

I didn't realize Jabba would be twice the money. If that's the case, it would be out of my reach financially and I consider this done deal.

Also, yes living cost in Gdańsk is WAY more expensive than in Zakopane area, therefore I get your point about the price differences. Also I feel like Mayones is doing a much better job in marketing their products than Maruszczyk. That will also reflect in the price.

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  15. My parents came from Poland in the 60’s separately and met in Brooklyn, NY. Mom is from Kłocko, I don’t know where my dad is from, somewhere in the South-West of Poland. His whole family “escaped” through Czech and Austria. My wife is from Katowice.
    I still have never been to Poland...:rollno:
    But I see we share a similar wanting to keep “roots”, as I’ve mentioned my want of the Absolution.

BassBlue likes this.
  16. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I was born in Stalowa Wola, then lived in Rzeszów for few years, then grew up in Stalowa Wola. Father lives in Mielec. So yes I still go there from time to time as my grandparents are still alive and well (grandma will be 90 this year). Can't wait for the bass to be ready now. This conversation sparked memories...

Thank you all for valuable feedback. I didn't mean to spark a manufacturer war, only wanted to see if I made the right call. I'll keep everyone posted.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  17. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    And by the way. Go visit Poland. Beautiful country!

18. My wife’s mom just retired and moved back last year. She lives in Lancut. Wife’s grandma just turned 92 I think? I’d have to confirm...I forgot exactly where she lives...the name escapes me...
    Funny though, thinking about how much in my life is wrapped around Poland and I’ve never been. We have Bolesławiec pottery, Krosno crystal, and other goods from Poland all over the house...I probably speak equal parts English/Polish every day. Some Poles are amazed at how well I speak the language having never been. Of course I don’t exactly speak like a Native and make many grammatical errors, but the accent is great! I have trouble reading Polish, though...it’ll take me a looong time to read one page, and I’d be spent at the end...
    I’m actually reading the book “Freedom Climbers” right now.

Now that we’re totally off-track...

EddiePlaysBass and BassBlue like this.
  19. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Łańcut is stone throw away from Stalowa Wola. Nice! Anyway... Let's have another look to get it back on track.

download_20190109_170632.png

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I was born and grew up in Erie, PA. There were a lot of Polish immigrants there. That's all I got :)

Sounds like Maruszczyk and Mayones is certainly apple and oranges price wise. Enjoy your Elwood and have money left for your next bass.

BassBlue and UNICORN BASS like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021