Marvin Gaye

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 26, 2002.

1. I just bought Marvin Gaye - 'Lets Get It On'.
    I highly recommend every bass player have this CD. It's got some really good bass playing on it. Simple and sweet.
  2. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I read somewhere that Jamerson was so drunk on one of the songs he played lying on the floor. It sounds better then most people sober and standing. Its a must have CD.

3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's was "What's Going On".
  4. That's a good one, but What's Going On is better IMHO, and a true classic. And it's stuffed with Jamerson's best, which never hurts.

Wait a minute - That's was? Just expand that sentence - "That is was What's Going On."

What's going on there? ;)
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You gotta love just about any Jamerson or Gaye recording. Jamerson had the Funk and Marvin had the Silky Soul.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm currently listening to the deluxe edition of "What's Going On." Definately a must-have for anything that walks on two legs and inhales oxygen.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't really know if "What's Going On?" is Jamerson's best. While it's amazing, (and don't forget that Bob Babbitt plays on the album as well), he wasn't in his prime at the time.
  8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    What does the "deluxe edition" include that the original doesn't?
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm not sure that anyone, save for maybe Marvin and Earl Van Dyke, know. "Mercy" was Babbit's, while the title track is Jamerson's. After that, I'm not sure, I haven't listened to the other tracks closely enough.
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It has the original, detroit mix, a rhythm section and strings only version of what's going on, a concert recording, the radio singles, and distant lover.

According to the liner notes-
    Babbit plays on Mercy, mercy, me and inner city blues; jamerson plays on the rest. Jamerson plays on the concert recording.

From what i've heard of it, i agree.
  11. Well, I do prefer his sound and feel on something like Jr Walker's Home Cookin', but I didn't mean his BEST best. If ya see what I mean.

OK, I'll recapitulate. It's stuffed full of Jamerson with a side helping of Babbit, which never hurts. :)

Listening to the album, the bass playing is huge in the mix. Good thing, too...