Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marvin Gaye_Got to Give it Up

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Here is one to make you pull out this disk.
    On this song is there any bass?

I always thought it was just bass and drums, I listened to it this morning and it sounds like the bass may really be an organ/keys.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I think I remember hearing bass on the tune.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Wasn't Frank Blair that played bass with Marvin during that period? Great player!

4. I will have to listen to it again.
    Always thought it was bass but there are a couple of riffs that I would be shocked to hear from a bass player from that era.

Then again I could have a little effect on the bass.
    I.e. I wish by Stevie Wonder.

5. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Frank Blair played on the late 70's Marvin Gaye albums like 'Here My Dear'.......he was a badass! One of the unsung bassist out there!

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd be willing to bet it's keyboard, GP...

unless someone figured out how to cop a serious keyboard bass vibe back then:D

No telling how many layers Stevie had on the bassline to "I Wish".

edit: I just listened to that track. It's keyboards. It's pretty evident at 1:40 in the song when it rolls up high for the walkdown.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Great "Here my Dear" reference. That is such an under rated / little known album. Frank's tone, playing, and the general mix of the album work perfectly. Plus the album itself is simply amazing; one of the best.

For those who don't have it, try and find "Here my Dear"; you won't regret. There's a really interesting bit of history that goes along with it (all in the liner notes.)

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL....yeah the divorce album;)

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The divorce part was only the beginning.... the fact that any money the album made was to be given to his ex-wife Anna. He planned on putting out a piece of crap that no one would buy. He realized though that it was a good opportunity to purge all the bad stuff that had happened and reflect on the good.

Again, an amazing album. Marvin never had more emotion in his singing.

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree!!