Marvin Gaye's Inner City Blues--is the studio version bass tuned slightly sharp?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by heat@500Hz, Jul 3, 2005.

1. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    i'm learning some of the songs on 'the best of' cd, and it sounds like this recording may be slightly sharp--or else i'm playing open strings when i should be fretting them

anyhow, it seems it's easier to play on the A and D strings like:

D ------------3
    A 5--0--3--5--

...but sounds more correct with the recording a half step up, which means i finger the A# on the E string, and so forth:

D ------------4
    A 6-----4--6--
    E ---6--------

anyway, no big deal to play it this way, just wondering if the slight sharpness is water in my ear or it really sounds sharp

2. For some reason, a lot of recordings are sped up or slowed down during mastering. I guess producers think they're making something sound better by doing that. The first example that comes to mind is Def Leppard's Hysteria album. The whole thing is a little flat.
  3. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca

i was talking to my wife about this very thing earlier! i asked her to come in and have a listen (for some reason, i've found that in many instances, a woman can hear things at least differently, if not better, than I can!) and I mentioned that it could well be the case that the songw as slightly sped up in production

4. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I am pretty sure that it was played with the root on the Eb, not the D. It sounds right and feels right to me (note - I could be wrong - I often am). It's not that hard to play it there once you get used to it - the trick is getting that smooooooth feel going. I actually would have a lot more trouble doing some of this fills throughout that song if I moved it down that half step.
  5. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    after playing along a few times tonite, i can see what you mean, it falls pretty naturally now...i think it's a great song!
  6. Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    so what key is this song in??

i am also trying to learn the studio version and i dont know of any good transcriptions out there.

its a groovy tune!
  7. its in a recent bp rag
  8. Snerek

Jan 12, 2007

which one? just last night i ordered BP, so it wont be here for a couple weeks.

but i do have NOV 08
  9. It's the one with John Paul Jones on the front. Babbitt explains the session and the song is written and tabbed. Babbit explained he played it up high at first, but because Marvin was used to JJ holding down the lower notes, Babbit overdubbed the lows in.
  10. cant find it but he online back issue bp site would know its within the last year i think
  11. Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    hint hint -- wish someone would post that article and transcription!
  12. im not sure that the pro players on this site would look kindly on posting copyrighted material.....