Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marvin Gaye's Live Bassist?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lopsy_lu, May 24, 2005.

1. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
  2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    That link you provided is most certainly not Marvin Gaye. No idea who it is, nor do I know who is on bass, but it isn't Marvin Gaye, sorry.

And I don't really know who usually played bass for Marvin's live stuff, but on the one live album I have (it was a late one, from 1983 I think), Byron Miller was on bass.

3. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    well opinions are opinions, but the back of the CD its from says its him...

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's definitely Marvin Gaye, but it's from his last couple of years when he had a bad coke problem.

I have some live recordings from the early 70s with Jamerson playing behind him live, but this is from the early 80s and I have no idea who it is. He's not the most tasteful player, IMO.

5. I think the bassist in question was Byron Miller at that time.

I have an audio cassette tape labeled 'The Final Tour' or something like that and i believe it's Byron Miller on bass. Those blues lines he was slipping in with Marvin is classic Byron.

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry, I guess I was wrong. To me it reallllly doesn't sound like him at all. What cd was it from?

7. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    A compilation of 60s/70s music called "Letters From Vietnam"

8. do you know of the 1980 live in montreux album? who played on that one? was it Byron Miller as well?

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Marvin's bassist in later years both live and in the studio was the very underrated Frank Blair who also did time with Robert Palmer.