Marvin Tailpiece with large button strings-advice needed.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by etorgerson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Anyone figured out how to use flexocor strings with their big flat 'ball' end in the Marvin tailpiece' smaller rings? I just put on a flexocore low b with flexocor deluxe on order and am a little afraid that I might have to give up my beloved Marvin (my other raves posted here on tb.) The unseated ball is sticking out at a 30 degree angle and occasionally rattling with the next ring/wire. Easy enough to pad, but do I need to get out my Dremel tool? If I do, what's the chance something will snap if I shape the 'ball' like an obligato or Evah bullet shape? So far, I like the flexocor b tuned up to C in a fifths setup with the Marvin.
    I'm ordering a Dov Schmidt harp tailpiece just in case.
    Btw, have an email out to Kevin.
    (Apologies for duplicating this, originally posted as a response to another thread with no takers.)

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    My Original Flex G pops in just fine, but it is very close. I would contact Pirastro and Marvin. They may have a solution.

3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Don't be afraid to make your own modifications...

powerbass likes this.
  4. Thanks for the replies. I've now noticed some other issues and may swap out the Marvin next week for a rosewood harp with either dyneema or Kevlar. The temporary helicore solo a string has got a very pronounced ~100 bpm wow from something else that's resonating slightly out of tune. It's not as noticeable on the A's on the II and III string, but a little more on the IV C. I'm thinking that it might be an after length that's changed pitch with the new cgda tuning. Trying blue tack on the after lengths next.

5. Swapped on my spirocore weich c,g,d and checked the afterlengths. There was an a and d on the c & g afterlengths that I was able to temporarily kill with a poly brand mute. I miss the open sound that the mute (even just hanging off way behind the bridge) kills.

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    What about wedging some small pieces of foam or felt between the wires at the problem points?

7. I ended up using a poly mute to kill some afterlength ringing on g& c that was beyond wolfy with/on a & d- additive & subtractive wows. That was enough to isolate the buzzing.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022