Maryland/DC Bassists Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stambroker, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Playing Blackwall Hitch in Annapolis tonight, anyone else have a fun gig this weekend?

2. Man that was a tiny stage! Did you all fit ok?

3. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Happy New Year everyone, hope you all have a fun gig tonight!

4. Winoman

Winoman

May 15, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    Thanks, right back atcha! I'd be happy with a sh**ty gig tonight, if it paid well. Unfortunately, I don't have either a fun, or a sh**ty gig tonight. :D

5. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    awful quiet in here, hope people are busy.

We played Fado Annapolis for St. Patricks day, following the Dublin 5.
    Karl Hunter from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy sat in with us for 5-6 tunes near the end of the night, great sax player.
    I hear that the open mic/afterparty from BBVD's show at Rams Head On-Stage Wednesday night was pretty awesome, wish I could have been there.

Sharknose79, Winoman and drpepper like this.
  6. funkster62

funkster62

Oct 24, 2011
    Knoxville MD
    I recently joined the Midnite Run Band, will be @ Playoff in Reisterstown on 4/11

7. Can anyone recommend someone who does good bass setup and neck adjustments in the Balto metro area?

8. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Phil at Philtone has a good reputation, but I've never used him so can't vouch for him personally.

Sharknose79 likes this.
  9. Thanks!

10. I have and would put my wholehearted endorsement behind Billy Monroe [email protected] (he's in Columbia)

He does incredible work and you'll probably feel like you should pay him more than he charges.

He's done fantastic things with my basses. And I have a Chinese Strat copy that my son was using for lessons. Our dog knocked it over, breaking the nut. I took it to Billy to fix that and asked him to set it up while he had it. In terms of how it played after he was finished, it was unrecognizable as the same instrument. I keep it on a hook in the music room, and one of my band mates grabbed it to fiddle around with...he's been using it for rehearsals ever since. He said the feel is better than his Fender...that is 100% due to Billy's work.

I've also heard a number of people say good things about Philtone, but also have no personal experience. I understand he has a Plek machine. I bought a Plek'd Lakland Skyline, and the out-of-the-box set up was remarkably good.

If you contact Billy, tell him that Roy sent you.

Good luck

11. A few people have asked when the next GTG is going to be, so I guess it's time to start a discussion.

I hope we haven't let it get into too hot of a time of year, but as in the past, I can offer up my warehouse to host...if someone has something else, bring it up.

I know Rich Snyder has a Boom Bass cabinet to show. Not sure what else is out there.

Sharknose79 likes this.
  12. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    The warehouse is a good location.

I have a Valenti PJ5, and 2 Baer ML112 v2s plus my pedal boards, could set up the Source Audio Hub and the Manta, Orbital, and Bass OFD

drpepper likes this.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sure, we do at Brubaker Guitars in Rosedale.

14. GKevinK

GKevinK

May 23, 2008
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I was just at Philtone after work today to pick up my Elrick NJS. Phil's work is, in my mind, unsurpassable. Sometimes unsurpassable takes literally FOREVER though. I had him take on some very complex surgery on the Elrick (adding internal graphite strengthening to the nut end of the neck, adding a 2nd pickup, shoehorning in a new preamp). He might be the only luthier in the area capable of doing that level of complexity right. The result is spectacular, but it took 2+ YEARS. Any capable guy can do a basic neck adjust and setup... and I'd highly recommend getting familiar with doing it for yourself. If the instrument is fundamentally sound (e.g. no neck twisting, etc.), you can easily handle it with the right tools and a good tuner.

Sharknose79 and Clarence Walker like this.
  15. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    hey @MoeTown1986 , we're playing The Barn on Sat after you guys break it in on Friday, Let me know how it goes friday night. :)

16. Awesome!! I definitely will report back on how it goes. We're going to the eastern shore back to back. The Barn this Friday and Seacrets next Friday. Should both be fun!

tink9975 likes this.
  17. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    ok, so posts on this page (both mine) are a year apart, any thoughts on jumpstarting this group or should I just let it go...

18. No specific ideas, but don't let it go.

19. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Ok Roy, I'll keep it going, need to try and set up a GTG, maybe in the spring. there was a lot of activity after that. Plus I need to get my dirty mitts on Rich's PRS
    ;)

drpepper and RichSnyder like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021