Maryland/DC Bassists Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stambroker, Oct 31, 2011.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Glad to help out. I'd love to come to your gig tonight but I have to go to Towson and see my son in the marching band. He's a bass player but he's playing guitar for the marching band. Have a great gig and I'll look for you guys at another gig.

backtobass likes this.
  2. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Hey all. I'm at the Villain and Saint tonight but I was talking to the staff here and they were taking about how great Ginas Soul Party was! Congrats on what sounds like a great night.

FunkySpoo likes this.
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That's nice to hear. It was our first time there and our first time that far down the pike. We usually the rockville area so I wasn't too sure if we'd have a very good turn out. How was your gig?

4. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD

It went really well. Had great turn out and great response. The sound man for the night, Daniel, really knew what he was doing for us and made us sound good for the audience and for the band. I really love playing the Villian & Saint. The staff is great too. Can't wait to play there again.

FunkySpoo likes this.
  5. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Glad to see this back from the dead, Gigspam and all. :)
    We had a busy weekend with shows in Annapolis on Friday and Ocean City on Saturday. OC was surprisingly crowded even though it is after labor day.
    We played at M.R. Ducks on the bay.

Sharknose79 and FunkySpoo like this.
  6. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Saw on FaceBook that Larry Minton, the owner of Minton's Music passed away. I don't know if any of you remember, but we had a couple of really well organized VA/MD/DC GTG's at Minton's Music in Ashburn, including clinics by Aram Bedrosian and Anthony Wellington several years back. Wishing the best for his family.

Winoman likes this.
  7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Assuming there are still bassists in Maryland / DC, let's bump this thread and say Hello!

scott sinner, Winoman and stambroker like this.
  8. Winoman

Winoman

May 15, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    Hi Rich, I used to play regularly (freelancing) between Baltimore and Richmond, but mostly in the DMV. I must admit I haven't played a gig in a couple of years. Hopefully, with things starting to open up with a good vaccination rate in the DMV, the gigs will return.

I'd like to hear from other bass players in the DMV, whether gigs are coming back or not.

RichSnyder likes this.
  9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It seems like they're returning, but the smaller bars are preferring acoustic solo / duo acts that are cheaper and less commitment for them. They can get those for $300 and if nobody comes out then it's less risk to them. Other places seem to be back to normal. The fireworks in Columbia were the most packed I've ever seen. People want to party but some of the smaller places are still not 100% sure they survived just yet.

10. Hey!

Baltimore area bassist here. Work is definitely coming back albeit slowly. I'm seeing more full band gigs at dock bars and clubs.

Winoman likes this.
  11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I haven't landed a gig yet, but I see a select few bands getting gigs

Winoman likes this.
  12. LowEndBuzz

LowEndBuzz

Sep 1, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm over here in Fredneck and have played a handful of gigs so far this year. We have a lot of wineries and breweries in this area that have outside stages. Outside gigs are kind of the new norm, at least for now.

scott sinner and Winoman like this.
  13. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    In the DMV. Band's outta DC! Guess I'll join a club!

What up y'all?

scott sinner, LowEndBuzz and Winoman like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021