1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MAS 18 Review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by SamuelHarris, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SamuelHarris

SamuelHarris Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    So I ordered the 18 with the ciare super tweeter option. I had lately been going for a brighter sound and was struggling with various cabinets to make that happen. So when I saw the words "super" andf "tweeter" so close together I thought it was a good idea.;)

I've only had 2 upright gigs with it but I gotta say it sounds great! It's a really good form factor, only feels like a few more pounds than the wizzy 10 I've been using but sounds like an extra 20-30lbs when plugged in!

GREAT low end on this sucker. My drummer on Friday's gig: "I really like the subs coming out of it". Didn't need to crank it either gigs so I cant report on the volume. What I noticed was that with my Yamahiko single sensor pickup and Acoustic Image Clarus Series IV I had to turn the gain higher than I normally do. This is probably due to the lows the 18 puts out (since my understanding is that the lower frequencies use most of the wattage from an amp). Not a lot higher but higher. My guess is that in really loud situations my high pass filter will be much more useful than with my wizzy 10.

You can't see it in the pics but there's an on/off switch for the tweeter located in the lower left port. I had a hard time hearing the difference between the tweeter on and off unless I REALLY cranked the treble knob on my Clarus. But in all fairness I just strung my upton ply with Flexocor Starks and those are REALLY dark strings. Kinda wished I still had my spiro weichs that I was so familiar with acoustically/with my previous cab(wizzy 10) for a better comparison. I also feel a little silly for getting the tweeter as I'm now trying to go back to a darker sound. Oh well! Options are always good and I bet the tweeter will be nice for electric bass work.

I thought it was more to get the option with the side mounted speaker jack for using the cab as a monitor but was pleasantly surprised to see my cab came with one. Also, mike's wording initially led me to believe that when getting that option you only had the side jack. I'm glad to see it's in addition to the rear jack. So you can stand the cabinet up straight and use the rear mounted jack or use the cab upside down as a monitor wedge with the side mounted jack. Options are cool! Note the monitor option would probably get you some extra rubber feet, if I were to lay my cab in the monitor wedge position it would be resting directly on the wood and I don't like that idea at all! But then again, I don't think I'd use it like that and in all fairness didn't order the "monitor wedge" option just the "tweeter" option. Guess the side jack was a bonus!

I mentioned that I just put on flex starks and that it kinda obscured my ability to judge the cab but I should say the first word that hits me with this cab is: clarity. Not in the treble sense but in an overall sense. There were acoustic subtleties with the flex starks that were actually coming out of the cab. The sound is so transparent, it's amazing. As I turned up the cab at home eventually I got to a point where I couldn't tell the difference between what was coming out of the cab vs. what was coming out of the bass. All this with a piezo! And the arco sounded so terrific! Granted arco had a tinge of piezo quality to it but it still sounded more natural than with the previous wizzy 10. And that's with the same pickup and head. All in all the cab really smooths out the edges of the yamahiko.

It's new and there's always a honeymoon with most new things. I definitely need to put this cab through more paces but my first impressions are VERY positive. I've gotta say, while I don't have personal experience with the 16 (although a buddy has one), If I was considering purchasing a 16 I would definitely go for the 18 instead. Slightly bigger, slightly heavier, slightly more money but all in all you get what sounds like a typical 12" in a small 10" size.

2. SamuelHarris

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    image. image.

3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Awesome! What I'll do---and I'm going to do this as a regular thing---is include 6 extra feet and screws so people can put extra feet where needed. You just screw 'em in. I'll send you some.

4. SamuelHarris

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    Awesome, thanks Mike! I was wondering about how to stack 2 of these bad boys? Since the botoom of the cab is deeper than the top?

My thought would be two cabs on their sides? Would that be weird for the sound though?

5. SamuelHarris

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    FYI for anyone wondering, my bathroom scale showed 23.2 lbs vs. 18.6 for my Wizzy 10. Still extremly schlep-able and as I said before sounds like it weights 20-30lbs more than the wizzy, not 4.6!

6. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Can we please see the back , the other side and the bottom

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Looks great Mike. Thanks for taking the plunge Samuel. I've really liked the old EA VL 108's (still have two just sitting in the basement).
    The issue with the EA's was that their power handling was limited. Mike's manipulated waveform builds have solved those issues.
    You can have relatively small, light, and loud with the right design. Cudos to Duke for the crossover.

Ric

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  8. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Encouraging. I am considering this for a doubling rig sans tweeters. One powered one, and one unpowered at the other side of the kit. I am hoping this would solve the dispersion issues on the wide shallow stages on which we usually play, where I am feedback limited on the upright, if I turn the tc15af towards the opposite side of the stage. The audience is getting plenty of level, but not the band. The slight tilt back should help me too. Two pre-amps, an a/b switch,plus this should do it.
    This would also free up space on my side of the stage, which is usually very tight. Looking forward to more gig reports.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  9. String Thing

String Thing

Sep 9, 2016
    Congrats Samuel! I'm not holding my breath waiting for mine to arrive, but I am refusing to leave the front door to go to the bathroom. Don't want to miss the delivery guy. Looks like your AI fits nicely.

kesslari likes this.
  10. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Ok---maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing, but Mark A and I were messing with two and found that we REALLY liked the bottom one horizontal and the top one vertically. I played at the Jazz Showcase here two weeks in a row. First week---both vertical stack. I really liked the sound. Next week---one horizontal on a chair and one vertical on top of it. Best DB sound I've ever gotten. I could have easily gotten by with one cab but I wanted to check out two together.

11. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I keep two of them in my car. It's just as good for electric. Two of them and a 15 piece pop band----no problem. Studio Slips are making a bag that zips all the way around with either a shoulder or backpack straps.

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I have the standard TC 112, and it's definitely a great doubling cabinet. I prefer having the port's plugged so that the low end of the DB dosen't blossom. That cabinet can get pretty loud.
    The thing I like about the MAS 1/8 is it's small size. I've always been partial to using a small cabinet with a better dispersion pattern. They seem to be less prone to feedback.

13. SamuelHarris

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    Awesome, good to know. Do you prefer a single 18 elevated for DB or on the ground? Still using the two seperate yamahikos into your "hot rodded" EA doubler?
    Any ETA on when the bags will be available?

14. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Agree on size. I find the tc15 (one of Mike's) great on upright and precision, but tending towards ultra smooth with a jazz bass. It keeps on going out to gigs to the exclusion of my other cabs, complete with two of the four plugs. It will stay with me when I get the smaller rig. Need to sell off the rest now.

15. SamuelHarris

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    UPDATE:
    Still haven't had enough gigs with this bad boy but it is kickin!

Was really impressed on an upright gig in a tight space where the cab was behind me and to my right. So used to the muffled sound you get that close to your amp but was amazed at how much high end and clarity I was still able to get.

Played a wedding band gig on slab with it too. 4 horns, keyboard, guitar and LOUD drummer. I had to really crank the amp with just the one 18, definitely was wishing in that moment that I had a 2nd one, but the one was hanging. While I felt like I needed more, it wasn't like the single 18 was buried, I think an additional 25% would have helped and I'm sure a 2nd 18 gives you a lot more than an extra 25%!

Also, I realized the 18 is 8ohm and my old wizzy 10 was 4ohm so my wizzy drew more wattage from my clarus so no wonder I find myself turning the clarus up more with the 18. DUH!

A couple suggestions: ask Mike to put the handle on the top intead of the side. My friend @Ben Rolston recently got a 18 and brought it over, his had the handle on top of the cab at his request, seemed WAY less awkward to carry. I'd also suggest asking mike to put an additional 4 feet on the side of the cab so it can be placed vertically or horizontally and still be on feet. Ben and I tried to stack our 2 18's together and found both vertically stacked or one horizontal with one vertical on top (both methods Mike said he used) produced a stack we both felt would topple easily. We think that both horizontal would stack on each other best. And side mounted rubber feet would help with that!

Also, skip the tweeter and save yourself $100. Maybe as a pa speaker for vocals or piano or something the extended top range would help but on bass I can barely tell a difference between the tweeter on or off, the 3" is plenty bright. Have you ever seen a 4 band EQ where it's labeled Bass-Mid-Treble-Presence. Adjustments to the Treble would be heard in the 3", adjustments to the Presence would be heard in the tweeter.

Awesome cab, buy it.

16. WesW

WesW <><

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Great review - thanks.
    Where did you get the cab? I don't see it on the MAS website?
    Thanks!

aesopslyre likes this.
  17. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The MAS18 along with the Bodai 28 and the Bodai 38 Special are all brand new. The response has been so good that I've been swamped making them and haven't updated my web site yet. Check out my Facebook page Michael Arnopol Soundworks. There are pics and descriptions there. Pricing too, I think.
    feel free to call with any questions 224 628 6162

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    WesW and Eric Hochberg like this.
  18. WesW

WesW <><

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Wow - thanks Mike, much appreciated!

19. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Have you tried both horizontal? (Or one down firing and the top one vertical just for experiment sake.) very interested in this cab.

20. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Sorry that I missed responding.Yes I have tried them that way. The orientation of the cabs as well as the height off the ground all effect the room in different ways. The orientation kindof acts like a tone control and how the sound is dispersed in the room.Also--the orientation affects how the cabs react to room resonances. It's funny---I'm still learning about these cabs, too. I try different orientations in each room. It's very obvious when you hit the right orientation for that situation. You can put one on its back on the floor facing straight up aqnd the sound still seems to reach the audience.I will tell you the weirdest thing. I was playing at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago.I had two 18's horizontal and on a chair. Really liked the sound. I played again a week later. That's when I tried ---on a chair---one horizontal and one vertical. It was better than the last week.I was adjusting my EQ on my Fishman Dual Parametric. All of a sudden I got the best amplified sound I've gotten in my life. By a long shot. I was thinking "What the hell did I do? I just notched out 80hz a bit (like I always do with this bass) and maybe brought the mids down a touch.I looked at the Fishman. I inadvertently hit the phase switch. To my knowledge---this should have absolutely no effect unless I was using two channels.There was nothing for the phase to react against. I was using one channel. I wasn't in the pa---so I wasn't reacting to that. Just for S & G's on a breaqk I plugged in the GK 15 that they have there. I hit the phase switch---no difference in sound. I plugged in the 18's and hit the switch. HUGE difference. The guys in the band know my sound---we play together all of the time. Everyone in the band said that this was by far the best sound I've gotten. Afterward I tried this on every gig. Some gigs it sounded better in phase. Others out of phase. The difference wasn't subtle.In talking to Steve and Duke the best we could come up with was that the room nodes and resonances have a certain phase relationship to what comes out of the speaker. I even brought the Fishman on electric gigs.Huge difference with the phase switch. This is brave new world stuff for me. But it is there. Any smart guys out there have any ideas on this? I'm still a bit flummoxed .