SOLD MAS 46, 210 Flex Mod with upgrades, and 110 Sub (sound clips, prices dropped)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by MarkA, Apr 15, 2020.

1. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Price:
    $300-$450
    UPDATES:

Hi, everybody.

For sale are my 210 Flex Mod (with recent and unique upgrades by Mike Arnopol), 110 sub, and MAS 46. All are 8-Ohm cabs.

All are in good to very good cosmetic condition and excellent functional condition.

The Flex and 110 sub have covers (pictured, included with purchase). The 46 does not.

MAS 46:

The 46 has feet on the sides as well as the bottom, so you can orient it “tall” (nice for close personal monitoring, home practice, or if, for whatever reason, you don’t want the sound to disperse as widely) or “wide” (default – excellent stage and house coverage). This particular 46 has an on/off switch for the Ciare super-tweeter and a “normal/hot” switch for the 4” Faital midrange drivers (I typically leave it set to “normal” when using the cab solo – with the sub, it depends).

Dimensions: 26" wide (wide enough for a tube amp) x 15" tall x 14" deep. (Flex is the same width, if someone is contemplating stacking the cabs.) Of course, if you orient it vertically, it's 26" tall x 15" wide.

Weight:
    The bathroom-scale method puts the MAS 46 at 42-43 pounds.

FLEX TOP (SOLD):

To this date, the most 3D and enveloping sound I’ve gotten on a gig has been with this cab and the 110 sub. It’s played well with everything from a Kustom KXB500 micro to a Jule Amps Monique (and a variety of other preamps) with a Lab Gruppen power amp.

Awhile back, Mike modified the crossover and added a 3-way switch that optimizes the cab for use with the sub or standalone (fills out the sound a little bit when you don’t have the sub). The third position, I believe, takes the mids out of the circuit – not a setting I’d normally use, but it’s there if you want to experiment with it.

More recently, I took the cab to Mike’s place for a once-over. While it was there, at his suggestion, the two, 6.5” Faital mid drivers were replaced with the new mids he’s using in the latest versions of his Bodai cabs. In his words, “It’s better –” more refined, while still retaining the rich, 3D mid-character of the Flex. The crossover+switch thing I believe he’s done with one or two other cabs. The mid drivers mod is, I believe, unique.

Here is a link to a PDF explain how the switching (minus the additional switch I mentioned) on the Flex Mod works: http://masoundworks.com/Photos/MAS210Flex_controls.pdf

Weight and dimesions: Per an email from Mike, this particular Flex cab weighs in at 56 pounds (including the cover) and dimensions are 26" W x 21" H x 14" D. (Stage profile is very similar to that of a Fender Twin, if that helps you visualize it, though the Fender -- at least the reissue -- weighs 8-10 pounds more. Width is the same as that of the 46, if you are contemplating stacking the cabs.)

SUB (SOLD):

The sub works beautifully with the Flex or the 46 – “Embiggens” the rig sonically and gives you enough “cab headroom” to cover any gig I’ve ever played, including outdoor stuff. The 46 with the sub “thickens up” (amazing R&B sound) and acquires a good deal more “chest thump”.

The sub, FWIW, also works great with my Hathor 1203 (both stacked vertically or with the Hathor, tilted up on an Ampwedge, atop the horizontal sub).

MISC:

Both the Flex and 46 are versatile cabs. Output of each, on its own, I’d ballpark as roughly equivalent to that of a good 310. With the sub, a good 610 (combined Vd of ~1200 cc – ~600 cc per cab – if you’re curious).

Absolute output aside, coverage and clarity are off the charts – you’ll be heard more clearly and evenly on stage and in the house than through an 810 and you won’t have to blast the stage to do it.

I’ve gigged the 46 and the Flex each solo and with the sub and can vouch for those being excellent combinations.

When using the Flex top solo or the 46 horizontally, I generally prefer the cabs elevated. With the sub, depends.

One combo that I tried briefly, at home, but did not get the chance to gig, was the Flex atop the 46. If any of you are familiar with the MAS 1200 VOG cab that Mike used to make (basically the 46 and the 110 sub in a single enclosure), the Flex atop the 46 is like that cab + the mids/top-section of the Flex.

At-home impression was that it combined the controlled aggression of the Flex with some of the depth and smoothness of the 46. If I had the cabs with me, now, I’d try it again, but I didn’t spend a lot of time with that combo (and no way to turn it up at home without breaking stuff and likely police intervention) and never gigged it, so I can’t say much more than “worth exploring.”

BOO-BOOS:

If you look closely at the grill of the sub, you can see a spot of discoloration (rust?), which has been there for awhile. There is also, annoyingly, a tiny, trace spatter of mud, at the edge of the woofer/surround I think, due to a drummer playing in a puddle during load-out. I thought about taking off the grill to wipe it off, but figured it would be better to leave it than to mess around, touching the cone, to satisfy my OCD. This was five or six years ago – never an issue, but I mention it for the aesthetically-focused and in the interest of full disclosure.

There is what looks like a faint, white, curvy scratch on one side of the 46 – that is from setting the cab, for awhile, atop a cheap, 1/8” inch audio cable (didn’t realize it was there). When I picked the cab up again, some traces of the cable's plastic insulation had come off, onto the cab. I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush, but traces remain.

The metal corners are in good shape, though some have lost a little paint in spots, doing their job and protecting the cab from evildoers. The cabs have been well cared-for (and, frankly, under-utilized), but do show signs of having been played at some point. ;)

The covers (for the Flex top and the sub) are in good but not pristine condition.

For the rest, see photos.

SHIPPING:

I’d originally planned to visit Chicago over Spring Break and pick up the Flex and the sub. As things are now, I am not traveling anywhere anytime soon, and shipping the cabs twice (to me and then to a buyer) would cost a lot, so the Flex and the sub will ship out directly from Mike. Mike said that he’d be willing to answer questions about the cabs, if someone had them (I will, of course, answer anything I can about them).

The 46 is with me and will ship from me. (I might also be willing to meet within a reasonable distance for a socially-distanced drop-off of the 46 - PM me if you have questions about this.)

All the cabs will ship via UPS, insured for the purchase price.

PRICING (Paypal preferred):
    • MAS 46: $550 $500 $475 $450
    • 210 Flex Mod (top), with cover: $550 $500 $475 (SOLD)
    • MAS 110 sub, with cover: $300 (SOLD)
    • Two cabs: take off $100
    • All three: take off $200
    Prices are shipped, CONUS. Not shipping outside of CONUS at this time, sorry.

PICS TO FOLLOW!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    3rdcurve, SemiDriven and Elias86 like this.
  2. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    flex a.jpg flex b.jpg flex c.jpg flex d.jpg

3. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    IMG_20190605_184603379.jpg IMG_20190605_191951479~2.jpg IMG_20190605_192040325~2.jpg IMG_20190605_192046665~2.jpg

Attached Files:

4. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
  5. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Gold Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    pm'd

6. RSB

RSB Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Pm'd

7. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Class A seller.
    Buy with complete confidence.

8. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    All PMs replied. To answer a couple of questions:
    • All three cabs are 8 Ohms, each.
    • Weight of the MAS 46, per the bathroom scale method (weighing the cab on its own, then weighing myself with and without the cab as a check) yields a weight of 42 to 43 pounds in both instances. While this scale has agreed pretty closely with the medical scale at the gym (I talk about that like I go) in the past, it's an inexpensive home scale, so bear that in mind. That said, I think it should be pretty close.
    Will edit OP to reflect the above.

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  9. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Sale pending on the 110 Sub.

smperry and kesslari like this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Good to hear, 'cos I really shouldn't... :D

smperry likes this.
  11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I've been doing all kinds of things I shouldn't -- just not the fun ones! (Gotta change that.)

Cheers!

12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    For those who might want them, here are some sound-clips:

Note on the clips: I hesitated to post these for the usual reasons people hesitate to post clips - your amp, bass, settings, and technique will all yield different results than mine - and because these clips don't really do the cabs justice; they were recorded at relatively low volume in the living room at my folks' place, four years ago (you can hear the clink of dishes from the kitchen at the start of the first), and I have no mic-ing technique to speak of.

That said, they give some idea of how the Flex and 46 compare and contrast with each other.

Recording was made before any of the upgrades (switch, crossover, updated mid drivers) to the Flex.

Bass is my Fender Power Jazz Bass Special with, at the time, Reed James pickups (fairly bright, not very "thick" natively), straight into a pretty flat-response tube DI (Reiner Super Box-O-Tone prototype, for those interested), straight into a poweramp. Mic is an AT-2035. No EQ on the rig, no EQ or effects of any kind in the recording.
    --

Here's one, on both pickups, running through a quick arpeggio with the 46, MAS 112 (not for sale), Flex top, and Flex top with the mids and woofer out-of-phase (one of the switching options):

Here is the MAS 46
    , going through the switching options, with some chords and harmonics on the bridge pickup, first with the tweeter on (mids normal, then mids hot), then with the tweeter off (mids normal, then mids hot):

Here is Flex Top (Don't remember the order in which I went through the switches -- think I only went through the "in-phase" options):

Here is the 46, again, with a palm-muted, percussive thing on the neck pickup:

Same thing on the Flex Top:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    purpleflyhunter and vanselus like this.
  13. vanselus

vanselus Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Love the comparison, thanks for putting it out there! So easy to hear the inherent differences between the cabs. Mike's stuff sounds so damn good.

MarkA likes this.
  14. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you! I honestly wasn't sure about posting them, but I figured that, if nothing else, they'd give people some idea of the different personalities of the cabs (and maybe help someone to decide between the 46 and Flex, if they were unsure).

As for the sound, I agree -- they sound (and feel) even better when you can open them up a bit and get the "vortex" thing going. Great in a busy mix and exceptional outdoors.

15. jharms80439

jharms80439 Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Evergreen, CO
    As a former owner of a MAS Flex/Sub system, and of several versions of Mike’s MAS-112 (but never the MAS 46), I’ll add that the best I ever sounded was with the Flex/Sub with a Fender 300 Pro tube head.

That rig truly peeled paint! 3D sound everywhere. The sound was big, loud, articulate, nuanced and I was an idjit for ever selling mine.

While I’ve also loved all of the 112 versions, the Faital (SP?) was my favorite. Just know that with any of Mike’s cabs, you really cannot go wrong. It’s just different flavors of delish.

If my cabs could ever stay in one spot and never move, I’d be all over another set of Flex/Sub cabs. Because I schlep them (a lot), I bought Mike’s MAS 1,8 & 2,8 setup foe ease of transport and modularity.

Whoever gets these is going to love them. GLWTS.

John

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks, John.

The most shocked (in a good way) I've ever been with my live sound was the first time I took out the Flex+sub. Immersive, percussive, clear, supportive, and everything else you said, all at the same time. Filled up the club with a humble KXB500 micro on top. Sounded silly-good with the Jule Monique (when I had that pre), too. (Mo' also matches nicely with my 18Sound 112 -- with the smoother and deeper 46, I think Mo's smooth-and-deep could be a bit much of a good thing, but I could be wrong.)

The 112 doesn't sound as "big" or as 3D as the Flex+sub (or the 46+sub), but it's been a good and reliable, one-cab solution for the louder stuff I've played -- made a huge difference in my ability to hear myself, coming from a conventional 2x12 -- and it just happens to suit me pretty well, tonally.

The sub is sold, but the Flex and 46 are still capable cabs on their own (and that's how they're recorded in the clips I attached). I think that they could stack well together, too, but I never took them out that way.

17. jharms80439

jharms80439 Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Evergreen, CO
    Mark,

FWIW, I did use the Flex alone a few times and it sounded fantastic solo. With the Sub (which Mike still makes), it was just better - more immersive and definitely additive to the sound. The Flex isn't bass shy at all and it definitely sounds great on your sound clips.

I owned a MAS 26 for a bit that I thought about pairing with the Subwoofer before I sold the Flex/Sub (mine had the 4 ohm/16 ohm switch). Great modular setup for upright and slab. I've read about the 46 and can only imagine how great that cab truly sounds.

My issue was that my former music room was in our daylight basement. Up two half flights of stairs, across the kitchen, then down a full flight of stairs to load in the car. The Flex's size didn't like the cramped quarters of the basement door/stairwell in my house. So... at the time, I bought a MAS-112 as the schlep was much easier. That was the Faital model. Then I ran across an 18Sound version and bought that too. Two MAS-112's have ridonqulous sound and truly I didn't need it, so I sold the Faital and the Flex/Sub (here on TB BTW) and kept the 18Sound. Then I sold the 26 (loved the cab, hated the form factor as I always thought I'd knock it over...) To my eyes, the 46 is a much better form factor for actual gigging.

Around that time I had back surgery (bad at the time, but all good now...) and the last MAS-112 was sold. I placed the order for the MAS 1,8 & 2,8 and a few months later, total goodness showed up to my office. Totally modular and much easier schlep - but much less overall volume too. My Flex, 112 or 26 EVER suffered from sounding good at low or high volume. It was pretty silly to show up to a Jazz trio setting with my upright and the Flex though. :) (Ask me how I know...) The 26 - MUCH better optics in that setting.

If I ever get back to a situation where I can leave a practice setup in place, I'll definitely pick up another Flex/Sub - right now, not so much. That's the rig that I still dream of and would love to get it back. I'm not sure that Mike would actually build one again as from his notes, it was a total PITA to build. In my eyes, definitely worth his effort as he really made some magic with the Flex cab.

Again, GLWTS. Mike truly makes some revolutionary cabs. With the Flex, he nailed it.

John

MarkA likes this.
  18. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    I will just offer that the 46 is in my top 2 list of cabs ever. I played it in medium clubs with high ceilings and other places where it logically was too small. It always came out on the Zoom etc digital recorder way more dominant and articulate than expected. I remember hauling two cabs to a local club just to be safe. It was a venue where some national acts were booked and the owner who was a big music fan would kindly book local yokels too. (I was in the 2nd category) When I wheeled in both cabs I decided to put the bigger beast in the car in case I needed it second set. I put the 46 horizontal on a house milk crate and cranked it up. It served the blues band with aggressive drummer just fine. The club owner came over and slapped me on the back at the end of the show and said, "nice bass". Can't go wrong with the Flex either folks.

vanselus and MarkA like this.
  19. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Since I took the 46 out of the box (but not out of its baggie) to weigh it, I figured I'd measure it and snap a pic with a bass for scale (Mono Vertigo bag, if you're familiar with that). Photo shows it in the "tall" orientation with the front (though you can't see it) facing you.

Dimensions are approximately 26" wide (wide enough for a tube amp) x 15" tall x 14" deep -- of course, if you orient it "tall" as in the photo, it's 26" tall x 15" wide. (Flex is the same width, if someone is contemplating stacking the cabs.)

upload_2020-4-22_17-28-25.png

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  20. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I missed "and Mike still makes" with regard to the 110 sub, on my first reading. Good to know, thank you!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022