1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MAS Bodai 110 (x2) -VS- BNA Audio Sealed 1822

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3rdcurve, Aug 24, 2017.

1. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Hello fellow bass gear nerds! If the title of this thread pulled you in, then more than likely - like me - you have the unquenchable G.A.S. for the obscure and relatively unknown bass equipment. After trying nearly every major brand name cab, and the majority of the boutique ones as well, I started veering toward the smaller shops. I was an early adopter of the MVW tech that Mike Arnopol produces, and the 2 MAS cabs in this comparison are numbers 5 and 6 for me. The Bodai series is a culmination of all that Mike has learned from his previous designs, and they are sublime. I have had my eye on Mark Robert's creations at BNA Audio for some time. His products were my favorite of the Greenboy builders. I have been following the progress of the sealed 1822 since TB member Zoomie started his review thread back in December of 2015. With the delivery of the 1822 scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, I hope to get some initial impressions and comparisons over the weekend. I plan to have a local bass player GTG in the near future, and hope to get some gigging feedback as well.

UP next - Specs and Pics!

10cc, JGR, HaphAsSard and 2 others like this.
  2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Color me intrigued...!

Thanks for making the comparison.

3rdcurve likes this.
  3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Intrigued here as well! I'm a big fan of most of the forward thinking designers here like Mike, Duke, Dave, JGR and several others.

Completely different design goals, but I look forward to your impressions :)

4. Following...

3rdcurve likes this.
  5. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Contender Number One

MAS Bodai 110
    (x 2)

Each cab includes two vortex loaded 4" Faital midrange drivers and a high quality Celestion compression driver. Lows are handled by a custom Kappalite 3010 variant. These cabs are clean and quick, with excellent dispersion and low end control. Instrument, EQ, and effects/pedal changes are all significant.

Technical Specifications
    VD: 600cc's
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Sensitivity: 96db
    Dimensions: 31" x 13 1/2" x 14 1/2" deep
    Weight: 37 pounds

Since we are testing a pair, all specs should be updated to...
    VD 1200cc
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Sensitivity: 99db
    Dimensions: 31" x 27" x 14 1/2"
    Weight: 74lbs

HolmeBass, HaphAsSard and wave rider like this.
  6. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Contender Number Two

BNA Audio Sealed 1822

The product of a collaboration between Mark Roberts of BNA Audio and JGR of Reiner Amplification, the sealed 1822 is new spin on an old design. Many bassists (myself included) have been smitten with the tight thump of a large sealed cab. My personal experience was with the Ampeg 810e, and the 1822 has been designed to address this classic cab's short comings. With an 18" Faital Neo woofer and dual 2 1/2" soft dome midranges, the weight has been decreased and the dispersion has been increased. I am very much looking forward to seeing what this monster can do!

Technical Specifications
    VD: 1049cc's
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Sensitivity: 99db
    Dimensions: 26" x 21" x 15" deep
    Weight: 50-60 pounds (tbd)

Photo courtesy TB member 5StringPocket

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    If you have a chance, try the 1822 with a standalone power amp and hit it with some big watts; the smaller amps at 8 ohms may not do it full justice. It sounds great with 1kW behind it!

8. wagdog

wagdog Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Waiting for the bus
    I would think the Bodai's would appreciate a healthy dose of watts too. This comparison seems to be a bit of an apples and oranges thing but who can complain when you get two best of breeds in the same room!

dukeorock and 10cc like this.
  9. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Thanks JGR, I will more than likely put together a rack unit before its all said and done. Have any spare preamps laying around? ;)

Very true. The MAS cabs have super low extension and a very neutral response, where as the 1822 will have a bit more rolled off low-lows and high-highs. That being said, I play 4 strings and use a decent amount of the Mesa D800+'s variable LPF. My eq choices really lean to approximating a sealed cab response anyway. Also, The sensitivity and Vd is very similar. Granted, the pair of 110s will be getting a healthy dose of more power 800 vs 400 due to the 4 vs 8 ohm loads. Before all is said and done, I will give the 1822 some more juice via a poweramp.

10. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Actually I have a 2U one-off 12ax7 pre I built for myself sitting here unused!

I love my D800+; with the 1822, I recommend turning the HPF all the way down and letting the 1822 work it's magic!

If you feed both rigs similar power, they should stack up pretty well (for being apples and oranges!)

11. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Man this is gonna be cool as hell! I wish there was a way that the 1822 was 4 ohms. That cab alone might be more than enough. Those MAS cabs look awesome! Got that empress now!:smug:

Thanks for a great thread to watch on a Friday.

wave rider, dukeorock and 3rdcurve like this.
  12. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    IMG_0303.JPG

McFarlin, Dave Hill and 3rdcurve like this.
  13. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Ha, love it!

I should mention, this test is for my amusement only and has no scientific merit.

10cc and JGR like this.
  14. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    The Ampeg 810e is still a 'gold standard' cab for many. The only 'shortcomings' are phase and the sheer size and weight. To that end, my personal wish was to take what we love about that iconic cab and shrink it down from 170lbs to around 50lbs while retaining everything some of us love about those classic fridges. As a bonus, can we get some high/mid clarity for loud upright? That's where JGR's 'vintage hifi' aesthetic comes in. I already owned one of Jonathan's game changing 6SL7 pres and was a fan, so consulting with him became a no brainer for me. I'm very pleased with the results for MY purposes. Everyone's needs are different, of course :)

3rdcurve likes this.
  15. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Well, family duties have kept me from spending too much time on this project. Here are some quick musings on the newest cab.

Initial impressions of the 1822 are favorable, and very similar to the Faital 15PR400 cab that I had in the mids and highs. Right out of the gate I could tell my assumptions were correct in that the high-highs and low-lows would be more subdued than the Bodai pair. A bit of EQ on the Mesa got it right in the sweet spot. I dropped the LPF to the lowest Freq, slightly bumped the bass, low mids at 150hz, and treble, and engaged the bright switch. Great sounding cab. I really liked it with my P bass......REALLY liked it. Even with the Mesa's modest 400 watts at 8 ohms, output was impressive. Switching to the Bodai pair, the difference in output was apparent. So...... to make it a bit more of a fair fight I have located a QSC RMX 1450a, which just happens to put out 800 watts at 8 ohms. I will feed that with the DI out set in Post EQ mode from the Mesa, so a side by side comparison with equal power can be done.

16. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    I managed to pick up the RMX 1450 power amp this weekend, but it was a complete let down. It is rated for 800watts @ 8ohms bridged, and 1400watts @ 4ohm rms. No matter what I tried, I couldn't nearly the power that my Mesa D800+ was putting out. So...... fail on that part. I will say that will equal power, the 1822 should be fairly close to the Boadi 10s in overall loudness. For a player searching for a classic tone, Mark's cab is a wonder. It is super thick sounding all the way up the neck. For modern tones I prefer the MAS cabs. For S@Gs i did a blind test with my 9 year old son to see which he liked better. I used 3 different style basses and mixed the order up every time. Now, this was playing solo and not in a mix where Mike's cabs impart something special.......but he picked the 1822 every single round. Hopefully, I can get them into a mix soon to see how they compare in the real world. I may offer them up to a local player with a heavy gigging schedule to get his input and hear them from the crowd.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    wave rider and dukeorock like this.
  17. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    On my PLX, in addition to setting the switch to bridge mode, you have to use a speakon wired for bridged mono (+1 +2 IIRC) and use channel 1/input 1 - the RMX may be the same. @Bob Lee (QSC) can confirm.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    dukeorock and wave rider like this.
  18. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Thanks, I will look into the different speakon cable!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You don't need a special cable. You just need an NL4 wired to 1+ and 2+.

wave rider likes this.
  20. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    And FWIW, I missed it when I first got my PLX, so I figured I'd mention it. It should be slamming when in bridged. If you have a spare cable, you can re-wire it because they typically use screw terminals. Just be sure to mark the bridged end!