1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MAS Bodai 28 - Bodai 38 Special and 18 Discussion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu_Bass, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky

47 lbs, 26" tall 16" wide 14 1/2 deep (the width and depth get progressively smaller as you move to the back of the cab) Around 780 cc's of air moved. To compare, the MAS46 or Bodai 110 are both 600 cc's.The Bodai 12 is around 900 cc's. A "super" 12 like Duke's, Barefaced or Fearless are a bit under 500 cc's. So---the B28 is halfway in between a single and 212 based on "super" 12's. It will likely beat any other 212's out there. The B28 will kill any 210---much closer to a 410. Deeper low end than any of my cabs. Two custom 8's, two Faital 4's and a Celestion compression driver. Deep, super punchy, VERY hifi from top to bottom.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. How very odd, a four month old thread about a top shelf boutique without a single response. I for one want to hear more! I'm sure it's in the main thread. Ok see ya over there.

Big E speakers part 4 Quadraphenia

Edit, very nice bass! What is it?

nbsipics likes this.
  3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    It's a bass by Tim Seisser of LowDown Bass Guitars. I think that he is one of the best bass makers in the country. I'll postb a pic but he also made me a fretless that isw amqzing. BTW--that beautiful finish is from Marty Bell. He does a lot of the custom work for PRS among others. Each bass weighs a hair over 8#. The fretted is swamp ash with a maple top. The fretless is light mahogany with a figured redwood top. The fretless is passive with a volume control. (my request). The fretted is the top John East preamp. Custom nordy's on both.

It's nice to be able to respond in a thread about my stuff. The 28 is the "just right" speaker for me. Covers any gig I have. If I'm outside or need to be brutally loud---I add an MAS16.

4. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I posted in the Big E thread when I created this one and suggested it would be beneficial to have a dedicated forum for the (then) new cab but no one made the move over here.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Very nice form factor & specs - I'd love to try one!

6. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Hey Mike, how is the Punch/heft compared to the 110?

Stu_Bass likes this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Anybody here got one yet?
    Or have one on order?
    They do seem pretty sweet.

Stu_Bass likes this.
  8. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'm actually finishing up a B110 and have a B28 made. I should be able to comment on a direct comparison tomorrow. So far, the B28 seems to have more weight/heft. Not thick and warm like the 46. It seems to have a wider "torque" range. The B110 is not a warm cab. It's not dry, but it is flatter in the mid to upper bass region. Guys that want a hifi sound. Chords, solo stuff. Add a little bass and it's close to the 28. To me--the 28 has more power to the sound. The Flex and the B112 have that crazy "pop" going on. Punch in the upper bass region. Punch you in the chest. The 28 has a little less of that punch but more power through the mid to upper bass range. A bigger sound. My current favorite rig is a 28 and an 18. And the 28 goes noticeably lower.Still VERY punchy.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Appreciate your comments, Mike. I love that crazy "pop" thing that the Flex does, don't want to give that up.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    wave rider and Stephen Regier like this.
  10. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    There are two out there. I can't remember his moniker, but one guy says he'll post. He's really pleased. He originally bought an 18 and then got a 28.

11. Hey Stu and Mike! Very happy to help jumpstart this thread. Is so hard to find any of the boutique stuff us "Talkbass Bass geeks", as Mike put it on the Music Messe vid, really want to see and hear in person. Mike, re, your comment about being able to respond, I have never bothered to read the commercial user stuff, is it easier or more politically correct for you to participate in this thread as opposed to the other one?
    Any of you guys that can post audio, it's greatly appreciated. I just realized one of the responders to the other thread lives here in Portland. I didn't know there there was a MAS cab in town.
    Mike you might consider doing what Duke (Audiokinisis) did for his customers. He has or had an interactive map of the country showing where his cabs live and many owners provided contact info that is clickable so a prospective new customer can talk to owners local to them for more info and possibly hearing one in person.

31HZ, Elias86, Ric Vice and 1 other person like this.
  12. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Kirk, I don't have audio of the Bodai 28, but, awhile back, I posted clips of the Flex Top, MAS 46, and MAS 112 -- they're not very expertly made (to put it mildly), but I can dig them up if you want. Re. the MAS 112, all of the mic-ed clips made in the first and third amp-comparison threads linked-to in my sig feature that cab (also not expertly made, but maybe a bit better done than the others, particularly the thread with the Blue Rock, Magellan, et. al -- you can also compare the mic-ed clips with the D.I. signal there, as I recorded both at the same time).

Mike is, unfortunately, unable to post in the other thread. I was thinking, in any case, since the 8"-based cabs are a topic of some discussion (and several questions), that they would benefit from their own thread. Considered starting one but did a search and found this one. There is the added benefit that Mike can answer questions here. Maybe we can get people who are interested in the 8" cabs -- either the just the Bodais, or the Bodais and the MAS 18, since they use the same driver? -- posting here and get this thread, as you say, jump-started. (OT: Did I mention that I switched out the battery in my car for a bigger one? I already hit four jump-starts this winter and that was enough for me! Went from 410 CCA to an 850 CCA AGM -- not messing around!)

@Stu_Bass, since there are still relatively few of the Bodai 28 and 38 cabs out there, might it make sense to re-title the thread MAS Bodai 28/38 -- or MAS Bodai 28/38 and MAS 18, if you think it worthwhile to include the (non-Bodai) MAS 18 as well? -- or something similar?

For anyone coming across this who hasn't read the other thread, I've heard the Bodai 110 (at Mike's place) and the 112 and 115 (at @thumbs&fingers' place, though we couldn't open up so much there). I've not heard a 28 or a 38 or the finished version of the MAS 18 (I did hear a couple of different MAS 18 prototypes, which I commented on in the other thread).

Mike, if you play the Bodai 110 and 28 alongside each other in the next few days, I am particularly interested in your impressions as to how those two cabs compare and contrast.

13. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Thread title changed. I started this thread to open up conversations so hopefully that will happen now.

14. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Groovy, thanks.

15. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Sub'd.

16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Mike, did you mean, "I add a MAS 18," rather than 16?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  17. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I ordered the 28 a week back and looking forward to gigging with it! Going to try it in 2000 seat church ampetheature and some coffee shop jazz gigs. I’ll give a full run down when I take it through it’s paces. Just got done watching Rodney Whitaker at a great venue right up the street from my house and now inspired to go practice all night. Lol.

Attached Files:

emjazz likes this.
  18. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks

There is a Bodai 110 in Portland. Zach is really nice and I'm sure would be happy to show you. He goes by ProtonLenny here.

Your wish is my command. Oh man--when I start messing with crossovers!!! I get pretty obsessive about xovers. Spent 5 hours nitpicking. I bought a $500 DAC converter to plqay music through the speakers. As Duke has stated, once he does all the measurements and feeds them into his xover software he always does a lot of tuning by ear. You just want to make sure that your music source is dead accurate. Most DAC's are pretty much voiced for excitement. Too much bass and treble. The one that I got is really helpful. I redid the crossovers on both. That I realized is the biggest problem with most boutique bass stuff. A small difference with padding on the mids changes the colr of the overall voicing a lot. A 1 ohm difference can be the difference between too aggressive or too dark. You can't do this with just playing bass through it.I have various recordings that I refer to for different frequency areas.

OK--it's pretty cool because both the B28 and the B110 share the exact same top section.Both voiced very similarly. So you can hear the differences between just the woofs. The B28 has a bit more mid to upper bass and a touch more bloom. Also, as I said earlier---it's a subtle thing . The B110 feels more dead flat---not dry. The B110 is a bit more hifi in that range. No added warmth and not as much bloom in the upper bass. The B28 has a bit more power across the mid to upper bass. I think that Mark may prefer the B110 as he like the voicing of his 112 with the 18Sound in that region. I think that the B110 has a bit more low end cushion--in the low lows. The B string is better on the B110 than Mark's 112. I prefer the B28 as the mid to upper bass is more of what I'm looking for---a bit more traditional bass sound in that area. Fatter, but no bloat. The B28 goes lower and has more power in the low bass. Funny thing is that I elevated the 28 so that the mids were at the same height. About 7 inches. All of a sudden it sounded a lot more like the B110---a bit less lows and bloom but still powerful. I preferred the B28 on male vocals---more weight.

I'm redoing the 38. It's actually a bit funny. Te holly grail for us was to improve the efficiency of the waveguide and to smooth the frequency resonse of the back wave. We didn't realize that we could make them too efficient. By improving the efficiency too much the rear wave now had too much power and velocity.Because of this the "event horizon" as we call it--where the front and back waves meet---usually between 3 to 5 feet in front of the cab---moved more to like about 15 feet in front of the cab. The rear wave was so powerful that it just shot right past the front wave! On the other thread (I forgot his moniker) stated that the bass seemed to get louder in the room but not on stage.I had only played the 38 at home. I just assumed that it would function like a bigger 28. This would be uber cool as a PA main, but not on stage for a bassist. Steve had the exact same experience with the bottom part of the Bodai15. He remedied the situation and all was good.The 38 in question is being replaced---and I changed from two 4" Faitals to two 5" Faitals wit 3x the power handling.

Yup.

Pbassmanca and kesslari like this.
  19. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    The 38 in question is mine...spoke to Stephen today about the backwave issue... figured that back rooms and other connected rooms in the bars i have been playing have been getting pummeled as I try to get my stage volume right lol...

Mike...curious what head you are using when running the 28 and th 18 together?

Stephen Regier and wave rider like this.
  20. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    For me, sometimes that's inspiration and sometimes insomnia -- or something I ate. ;)

I'm not familiar with Rodney Whitaker, though I love hearing good doublebass playing. I looked up some videos of his on the 'tube (funny how that's got a different meaning now) and he is definitely worth checking out further.

I'll look forward to your rundown -- you'll be playing six-string electric bass through it, if I remember correctly -- church music, small jazz ensemble, and some solo arrangements, right?

Gee, Kirk, between this and the Cali invites in the other thread, you should be able to check out a good few cabs. :)

I liked the Bodai 110 when I heard it -- very open and organic, I thought. I like my 18Sound MAS 112, too -- that's still the cab I take out most often on louder stuff -- and I like how it opens up when I give it some juice, but I think my tastes are evolving a bit. Not too traditional, not too colored, but maybe with a tiny bit more bloom, a little bit more hair, than I liked before. I still like it clean, even, and dynamic.

Let me revise what I said about "colored" sounds -- sometimes I like very colored sounds, particularly when channeling old-school stuff -- I mentioned my first B-15 adventure this summer in the other thread, and playing through that amp was a joyous experience -- literally and viscerally thrilling... but I digress. I love taking a trip there, but that's not "home" for me, though some of that texture and grit finds its way into what I think of as "home". My metaphors are getting sloppy, so I'll stop there. Some of that texture can come from the amp and some from the speaker -- the 112 will grind in the upper mids but I feel like the Bodai will communicate things like woody fretless sounds better -- and was more detailed in the mids in general... might be less round in the lows than the 28, but is a little more round than my 112, which is pretty... angular, I guess you could say, in its attack. Kick more than punch.

Anyway, I liked the 110... still curious about the 28. Appreciate the rundown!

Okay, I'm glad that you were able to address this here directly. I would have been guessing at causes for what @golfnsubie said he was hearing in the other thread and would not have come up with this. Unfortunate that there was a bit of a learning curve (I guess that this is still somewhat alien tech, and that some things might not show up under normal testing conditions), but good to know that it's being addressed/revised/improved upon...

...good to know, too, that you're being taken care of. Hope the new cab combines everything you liked about your current/old one with the improvements that you and Mike are looking for.

For what it's worth -- though it's been awhile since I did a "walkaround" while someone else was playing my rig for this purpose -- I've noticed that my cab does sound a bit louder just a few feet out than it does right on top of it, and that the volume (and the tone) then stays more consistent out in the house as you walk away. Subjectively, it doesn't seem to drop off as fast as with a conventional cab. I think, from old (vintage) Big E discussions that this has to do with the sound staying "turbulent" out to a certain distance (at which point the flow becomes laminar and things get "normal", for lack of a better word), but I don't remember all the details of that and am not qualified to argue the specifics. I think that the point at which the flow goes from turbulent to laminar moves further out the louder you get, but I might be misremembering that, too. Maybe it varies with the size of the waveguide, instead. Or maybe both.

And maybe the folks in the back rooms were experiencing a nice massage rather than a pummeling. Let's hope!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    kesslari likes this.