Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mash-Ups/Bootlegging

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 26, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've only heard a couple of mash-ups. A few questions;

- Are they more of a European phenomenon than US?

- Have you heard any you've liked? (I thought the mash-up I heard of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Bootylicious" was pretty good).

- Do you think they're musically valid or just another indication of the sick state of the music industry?

Any other comments you'd like to make about them are welcome, too.

2. I've done a few of them myself- there was a rash of Eminem's "without me" bootlegs after Boomselection http://www.boomselection.net/ put the acappella up- the one I did using daft punk's "da funk" is up here (as Barry Beatmaster) (if the server is working)-
    http://www.base58.com/withoutme/

I actually find them interesting musically- the way the melodies of different tracks work together- the one ConfidentBob did using U2's "with or without you" is harmonically intriguing, to me, anyway.

some of them are just novelty records though- and there are way too many bootlegs of Missy Elliot's "getcha freak on"- the sort of thing that boomselection's without me challenge was meant to parody.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ah, leave it to you all in the UK to be up on this stuff, Mock!

At first glance, it seems interesting because, unlike sampling, it seems one would have to have a good understanding of music to be able to pull it off successfully.

Plus, I imagine some could be hilarious.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    These bootlegs have been big in the UK for the last couple of years now.

I think the best one I've heard is the vocal from Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle' over the music from 'Hard to Explain' by The Strokes.

The first one I heard was a couple of years ago - the music of 'Eye of the Tiger' under the rap song I wish I was a little bit taller... or whatever it's called. I remember that the mix is called 'I Wish I Was A Tiger'. It still gets played fairly regularly in indie clubs.

5. I think it was Belgian indie band Soulwax (okay as a band, better as DJ's)- who did "wish I was a tiger".

the Freelance Hellraiser did "stroke of genius"(Strokes vs. Christina Aguilera- I didn't think that was that good- a bit weird in the chorus)- another one's he's done is Nelly vs. Grange Hill theme (very funny).

on WinMX (probably Kazaa etc. too) you can find Soundhog's "The without me song" (Eminem without me vs. Led Zeppelin's Wanton song, and The Freelance Hairdresser's "Marshall's been snookered" (Eminem's Without me vs. Pot black theme- very funny and has been played on Radio1).