1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mass/Boston Peoples>! Bass Tune-up!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hey. Now I realize this might be the wrong thread, but im just curious as to where you guys bring you basses to get tuned up?

I could use a few adjustments on my basses, and Im curious as to WHO you go to, and if he wants another client! :)

I just post this here, because i figured id get a lot more responces from people that live in the area of me ( right naer foxboro) rather than posting in a "Setup" area....

so if it must be m0ved it must, but if it musn't, im awaiting your responces!

2. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    PM me, I don't live far from you.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I do my own.

:ninja:

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Go here...

www.nollguitars.com

It's in Cranston, RI. Not a bad drive from Norlfolk.

Cheers,
    Kevin

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Are you getting the T-40 reset up?

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    ohhh, i just met an awesome tech, he's in boston, tho'.....

7. i just bought my jazz bass to mr. music in allston, i bought it there about a month ago and they lowered the action, adjusted the truss rod and just gave it a nice, professional setup...they even did it for free since i got it there and was an expensive instrument...you can talk to them though, they are good and honest, right in allston on harvard ave, their tech guy is named jay i believe

8. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Peter Stokes was referred to me buy Roger Sadowsky.
    He did a nice job on my bass. Located in Boston on Boylston St. near Berklee.

Broken Neck Guitar Repair

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah those guys are pretty nice.
    Where do you live, rooster?

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    What exactly do you guys have done to your basses that you can't do yourself? Fret leveling and stuff like that?

I do my own string changing, neck/action adjustments, and intonation, and can't imagine paying someone to do something so simple.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im with you on that one. Everyone should learn to do the same. :)

12. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    But maybe these guys are getting some other work done?

I would never attempt to level my frets. I don't own the right tools.

What else is there to a setup?

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fret leveling is something I definitely would not attempt myself.

Something else that can be done during a setup is smoothing down fret edges that may be sticking out due to humidity changes. This can easily be done yourself as well with a file.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
  15. I second that! Stan and Jim are awsome to deal with. Plus you never know what little treasures you will find in that shop.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Here's a link to an article in Bassplayer Magizine on Wolf.

He'd be my first choice, and he's an exeptionaly nice guy, and monster player.

http://www.miscfix.com/magazine.jpg

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I've used both Peter Stokes and Wolf Ginandes and they are both excellent. Being a bassplayer himself, I might give the nod toward Wolf cause he "thinks like us".

But my third and top recommendation would go to Jim Mouradian; also a bass player and pretty much the go to guy for most of the top players in the area. Helluva nice guy as well. And not expensive either. His shop is in Cambridge, at Porter Square, right above Cambridge Music.

http://www.cambridgemusic.com/feedback.htm

/rick

18. For me, I string my basses BEAD and they need to have the nut filed a little and some truss rod adjustments and intonation set(well the first time they are restrung from standard anyway). I don't want to mess anything up as I don't know what I'm doing and if you pay someone else to do it and they screw up at least there is someone to blame. I've never been shown how to set intonation and fiddle with the truss. I'm sure it's not that complicated but it is intimidating if you don't know what you're doing.

19. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I see.

Just curious, what is the price range for a setup like this?

IMO, all that work is just slightly more complicated than tuning. Very simple stuff once you've done it a few times.

20. BWood

BWood

Mar 19, 2004
    Boston
    I recommend Wolf. He does a great set up and is an awesome guy and bass player.