1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MASSIVE APPLE-AMAZON-GOOGLE HACKING

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Aug 8, 2012.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

2. but but but macs cannot be hacked

3. Ouch, that's nasty and pretty sickening.

In relation to the loss of family pictures, I'm not too familiar with Apples, but with Windows, even when the data is deleted, as long as it hasn't been over written with something else you can sometimes scavange some of it.

I wouldn't blame Amazon too much for showing 4 digits on a card, practically every online retailer does that, it was a bit of a lapse on Apple's part to use those numbers to allow access. Also kinda surprised they let him get past without the security questions, though I've heard of other folk managing to get by with their address and date of birth (both fairly easy to find these days).

This is why I don't link many things together online and try to use common resources where possible instead of having sensitive data spread on multiple sites.

The guy is ****ed off with himself, which is understandable. But at the same time, I wouldn't be a letting the kid off with it 'as long as he told me how it was done'. Hacked into your stuff, deleted a lot of precious information and then used your name to post racist and homophobic rants?

If it has only been to illustrate vulerabilities in a system they wouldn't have had to deleted the guys messages and pictures and they sure as **** wouldn't have had to start posting racist and homophobic stuff under this guys name!

4. Multiple, random generated passwords, different credit cards, no .me account (despite being a Mac user), and no credit card tied to my iTunes and this could never happen to me.

lowsound

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Maybe they did it to him because he looks too much like David Byrne. :) LOL
    Dirk

6. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Someone, and I seem to recall it is Google, is trying their best to link my stuff with my phone "for security reasons" (actually for "convenience reasons"). I don't want anything linked to anything. There are too many malicious, anonymous wack jobs out there on the Internet and I don't want to make it easy for them just because some company wants to increase their market share in a variety of sectors.

7. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Hotmail asks for it each time I log in.

I change my passwords on important stuff every year , change my credit cards every 6 months (I just call them and say I lost it ) and I always say NO to every application or link in Facebook.

.... and I wear condoms.

8. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Now that you mention it, I think it is Hotmail. The rest of your precautions seem to be prudent as well. :cool:

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Challenge accepted.

:bag:

10. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    ANY computer can be hacked, From UNIX to iOS to everything in beteween.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being an I-phone & I-Pad user, the article has me thinking about blocking out some time to modify my passwords. One mistake the writer made was not having a secondary password that triggers when a person wants to log in on a different computer-ISP. I modified my G-Mail this AM after reading the article. Am modifying my Amazon as well.

12. my fault, forgot to turn my sarcasm font on in that post.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This isn't only i-stuff.

I have an Android phone and once I installed a Facebook app on it, that app insists on populating my contacts list with photos and birthdays from Facebook - and I don't want ANY of them on there, especially the superfluous birthdays. Darned if I can figure out how to remove them.

EVERYBODY wants to get into your mobile devices. It's a pain in the butt.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I love letting smart people have their way with me!

15. let me catch a plane to cali quick...
    :bag:

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Youre going to have to fight off my date... she's a Scorpio.

17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Is it true that when you tell an online service to remember your password they save it as plaintext?

18. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    That article prompted me to change a bunch of passwords today including Amazon...

19. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Its all good. I'm bad at sarcasm even in real life.