Massive Explosion in NC!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Aww man, it's pretty bad, too. A big pharemcuticals facory blew up in Rawlins (could be wrong on the city here) North Carolina. Three are confirmed dead, and a whole bunch are missing. Anybody know anything more about this? Like what substance would be in a pharmecutical's factory that would have enough power to blow the roof over 400 feet away?

Pray for those guys. 220 people work there, and I don't think half have been accounted for.

Rock on
  2. I saw this on CNN and i was shocked at the size of it! The only things they said the factory produced were rubber stoppers for seringes and IV related items.

My prayers go out to the family's of the victims and those who were affected by the explosion.:(
  3. Now it's 8 dead and many injured.:(

I just heard the name of the town is Kinston.

Wow. This is screwed up.

4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    im sorry to hear about this.. Its suprising how a factory that only produces small things can turn in to a disaster.. all my hopes to the ones that are still injured/dead

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's really unfortunate. If anyone knows what it was, I'm interested though. We had a person die of a spill at a chemical factory here recently, which was horrible, but being a chem student really makes you interested in what the cause was.
  6. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I haven't heard much on it. The local news channels (I'm in NC) are saying that it was throwing debris miles and that roofs were blown off houses up to a mile away. Last report, eight are confirmed dead, but they still haven't been able to get to the section of the plant where the explosion took place. The explosion set the surrounding buildings and forests on fire, so i'm sure by the time they battle their way into the plant where the explosion took place, the death toll will rise
  7. There are many chemicals with extra explosive qualities. If concentrated Nitric acid gets in contact with heated Toluene under certain situations, you can produce trinitrotoluene. This is commonly know as your favorite explosive TNT.

Certain mercury salts are very explosive. Another bad one is sodium azide.

Nitroglycerine is also easy to make.

In fact, I nearly messed up today in chem lab and made silver nitride, Ag3N. This stuff, upon being put with heavy oxygen and heat, can render a room destroyed. (I did get 10% NaOH all over my arm, though, and didn't notice it for like 2 minutes. Probably why my arm is bright red. :eek: )

Overall there are many explosive substances that are easily made in the laboratory.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Plus you have to take into account that even they produce small items, they produce a lot of 'em, which means they have a large amount of these chemicals lying around.
  9. There a plenty of volatile reagents with a low flash point ready to form a fuel/air mix. That seems much more likely to me.

Maybe they were working with acetone or diethyl ether and got careless, set something on fire. Not hard to do.