Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Massive Free Advertising for eBay!!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK this is just a thought I had today and which may be something that would help you Paul and which may be a business "opportunity", for the site.

So, the last few days I've noticed that a large proportion of new threads started are basically just "free adverts" for eBay auctions of basses/amps etc.

OK - I can understand that people might think they are hipping others to a bargain or an interesting item - but really does eBay need any more free advertising? Everybody knows about it, unless they've been living on the moon for the last 5 years ;) and would look there, if they wanted to.

So - how about banning links to eBay unless people are supporting members, or maybe introducing a charge for doing this ...?

Would this be easy to do - or if not - how about some kind of commercial partnership - so you could point out to eBay how much business/interest they are getting out of TalkBass and maybe there could be a special forum, just for eBay auction discussions, which could be for supporters only or maybe sponsored by eBay itself - putting some of its massive profits back to support TalkBass!! ??

Just an idea anyway? :)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't see a problem with posting a link to an Ebay auction, unless it is your own auction.

If we ban this, then we need to also ban anybody posting about a great deal that they see at an online dealer, or a local dealer.

3. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not saying ban it totally - just that it could be a really good money-making option for Paul!! :)

It's not a problem - but rather a business opportunity!!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Having said what I did in my previous post - I do see a big difference!

So - with a local dealer or even an online retailer, these may be small concerns and they will almost certainly not have any wide advertising/marketing - so it's quite reasonable to assume that TB members may not have seen these, but would like to.

But with Ebay - it has a massive Marketing presence, vastly expensive TV advertising and everybody knows about it - there's no reason to think that if somebody wanted a particular piece of gear, they wouldn't know to look under the relevant categories on eBay!!

Secondly - the local dealer is probably just about breaking even - wheas eBay makes huge profits - so why not get some of that pie!!?? ;)