Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

massive mystery speaker cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigpen02, May 23, 2002.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    long ago, i saw a huge speaker in a cab w/ a horn at paragon music in tampa, fl. this thing could have been well over 20 inches if memory serves, although that was just eyeballin' it and never asked about the specs. over the years, i've dreamt of the sick levels of bass i could emit with this thing, and got to wondering....what's the biggest practical speaker size for bass? anyone ever used a massive speaker? seen one?

2. Check out this Accugroove Whappo Grande. 21", 600 watts.

[​IMG]

Check out the other Accugroove equipment at http://www.accugroove.com from what I have heard, it is unbeatable, especially for extended range instruments.

GEoff

3. Check out some of the P.A. stuff Bag End manufactures. If you want to simulate an earthquake in your apartment building, they make a cabinet with four 21" woofers in it that goes down to 8hz, which is inaudible to the human ear, but you can still rattle things with it. Just think, you wont be able to hear it, but youll probably be able to feel the actual sine waves if you go down to 8 hz. itll probably cost you a pretty penny..., and youll need quite the amp to run one.. just a thought. Put it on the wishlist.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've actually played through the Whappo Grande. You want to talk about solid bottom end, man, that 21" has it!

So far as I know the one in that picture is the only one in existence at this time. I'll ask Mark about that the next time I talk to him.

5. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Electro Voice used to make a 30" speaker.

maestrovert likes this.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That EV 30" speaker cost $300 back in the late 60s when a new P-Bass was $300 and a new VW was about $1500.

And that was just for the driver, not a box to put it in!

It was intended for hi-fi applications though, I doubt it would have held up well as a bass guitar speaker.

But it would have LOOKED pretty cool :cool:

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I played through an EV 30", but only once and I blew the thing. It was in a cabinet that couldn't fit through a regular door and all I used was my Sunn Coliseum head and I was just playing with a drummer, no one else. It actually blew a smoke ring as it fried. It was hard to get a clear definitive tone out of it.

Roland GR 88 likes this.
  8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

This is where you play so much people start getting sick and faint from such low frequencies rattling there organs ;)

9. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    paragon is closed down now right? is dick ramora&george gargantous still around? george is a good bass player/dont know if you knew them but i thought it was worth a shot.:)

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    image.jpg
    It seems to work for her.:)

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Well, that Mitsubishi Diatone is ftw...unless she's only ~15" tall?

This guy is 5'4" tall. The cab is a Mavericks M213 subwoofer, manufactured by James Loudspeaker. Designed for home theater use, but allegedly could function quite formidibly for bass guitar reinforcement. (2) 21" woofers plus a third 21" passive radiator. 95dB SPL @ 1w/1M, with a -3dB downpoint of 20Hz. $10,000.

[​IMG]

maestrovert likes this.
  12. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    ever see the huge clarion?

13. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
  14. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    i think the clarion may have been 36 0r 42" before the jackhammer electrovoice also made a 31" a long time ago,tempted to try the carvin 21 to compliment some 18s and my evx 15" subs for pa

15. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Ding ding we have a winner 12 1/2 year old zombie! :D

BioWeapon and BassmanPaul like this.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

What they don't tell you is that she's only 8 inches tall.

17. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    It would seem 18" drivers are making a comeback in bass cabs...as always, the quality of the driver and the enclosure design are way more critical than the size of the driver itself :)

18. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    the clarion was a 32"

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    That would really make her a "Living Doll." :)

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They grow them smaller in Japan. Not much room left in the islands.