Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Master and Commander - New Russell Crowe Film.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Wow...I watched this film last night, and it's really bad. The plot is all over the place, and the mix of action and non-action is really poor. I mean it's like a 2h 10min film, and it's 20 mins action, then about an hour and a half boring storyline which makes no sense or has no purpose, and then another 20 mins of action at the end.

Even the action bits aren't that good. It's a brawl, but the camera work makes it really confusing to see who's fighting who and what's happening.

That's just my opinion anyways. So I'd avoid going to see it, it's just not all there. It's another example of a poor script, which doesn't give the director much to work with, thus resulting in a poor film.

2. I saw it last sunday. I liked it. But since I'm a cinema ignoramus, don't take my word for it!

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank You. You saved me $15!

I was fixin to go see it today with my wife. I guess we will check out Radio instead.

-Mike

4. good movie! interesting tid bit: that movie is based on a guy from TL hannah, south carolina. our football team had a game against them 2 weeks ago and he was there and we got to meet him. it was :cool:

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A entire film about men and more men,
    living together in close quarters.
    Boys too.
    Gay.

6. "Russell Crow Fightin' Round The World!";)

:cool:

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    :D

[​IMG]

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    :D:D:D

LOL That's hilarious!

Look at him dance!:cool:

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm going to be the voice of dissent about "Master and Commander." Unlike others here who saw the movie, I felt it was an excellent historical drama. Yes, there were men and boys aboard. That's what you would expect for a British naval ship in the 1800s. It wasn't a Carnival Cruise liner.

The facts are historically correct. Young boys did serve on naval and commercial ships in those times, pirate ships too.
    Though not always the case, they were often sent to sea duty by impoverished parents who could not afford to feed and clothe them. And, as was often the case, they suffered illness,injury, deprivation and death just as grown men did on such ships. The boy who lost his arm in the movie was probably not a totally fictional character, though his extroardinary bravey was. But name me a movie that does not dramatize events.

It was aluded to above that the all male shipboard conditions were "gay." Studies of shipboard life in those days do mention incidents of homosexual activity, but that is not the same as saying it was rampant. It probably was no more rampant or common than in modern day prisons. That said, I saw no blatant references to such activity in this movie. I believe the film makers decided not to focus on sexual preferences in their story because such was not a main part of the story. The main theme was courage, valor and sacrifice for duty to country. Men and boys of any sexual preference can dispaly valor and courage.

Too, I'd like to applaud the exceptional photography and special effects and sound effects that really makes one hear how ships sounded and feel the crowded, unhealthy, and emotionally draining conditions on board those old ships.

As for the confusing battle in which the audience cannot tell who is friend and who is foe...that's how battles were and still are today. War, even naval war, is confusing. That's why horrible tragedies like death by "friendly fire" happen, even now as then. I feel the confusion in the cinematography shows unusually well, how terrible those ship battles were.

Lastly, I feel Russell Crowe certainly merits an Oscar nomination at the very least for his role in the movie.

All that said, I recognize historical dramas are not to everybody's taste. I just saw "Haunted House" today. That movie bored me, even though I enjoyed Disney's "Pirates of the Carribean" so much, I saw it three times.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I, too, thought it was an excellent movie! I think it's very difficult to develop too many characters in a movie where so many secondary characters were key to the story. The movie walked that fine line, but chose to conservatively focus in on the 3 main characters the most. It was the relationships they had (on screen) that seemed the most interesting, that the battles were secondary.

Further, I thought the acting was sensational and I left the movie really caring about the characters. I was dragged into the story line, and to me, that's the mark of a great movie.

I highly recommend it.:D

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I saw it a couple of days ago and thought it was a very good movie. I've seen very few movies with so many characters that you actually care about. I'm not one to ask about historical accuracy, but there wasn't much if anything in the movie that seemed totally beyond belief (i.e. it could have easily happened in real life).

Very good movie that should be seeing a fair share of the Oscar race in at least the acting categories.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    ok...ok....ok....now i wanna see it......tell me this...is it cheesy at all? times where you are thinkin, "no way that is gonna happen", or the blatantly obvious what will happen next....or times when the movie characters say out loud things that the director felt need to be explained and feels the audience wouldn't get if they werent stated? you know what i mean? like in an action movie where the character may state outloud to himself "if i shoot this gun at this bad guy right now, i may have less bullets later, so i will wait to shoot him"....you know what i mean right?

-Mike

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, No.;)

14. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I'm with Boplicity. Thoroughly good movie.

15. :D

Seems everyone likes it but me lol. I just didn't think it was my sort of film, but I just didn't feel it was particuarly good. I think they should have mixed up the action and quiet parts a bit better, to maintain more interest.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No. And I went in as a hostile viewer, too. I had absolutely no desire to see this movie whatsoever, but since it wasn't my turn to pick, I did what I must.

It was great! I would rank it up there with Gangs of New York. I thought I would despise Russel Crowe's character (I don't much like Russel Crowe), and thought the plot would be heavy-handed and melodramatic. Wrong on both counts! Crowe's character is likable and well-played. The plot was amazing, a real throw-back to adventure movies of yore. What a great film. I recommended it to all of my friends.

17. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I thought it was a great movie. The action scenes were confusing, but they were tolerable anyway. I figger the battles must have been quite confusing when they actually happened too, but the camera didn't help I guess.

best part of the movie: choose the lesser of two weevils. :D

18. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I thought it was fantastic. Not every movie has to be about lesbian bassists making out. Just most of them.

19. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Another thumb's up here. In fact, I've seen it twice already . I totally dug the attention to nautical detail and I thought the characters were so interesting that even in the middle the movie was rewarding. First commercial film that was shot on the Galapagos Islands too.

20. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I loved it... and went to see it with not one, not 2, but three history/naval/sailing buffs... (and one of them spoke french... it helped once.)

the three of the critics also loved the detail, the story and the way it was filmed... and these three (a married couple and his brother) along with my wife and I, would rip the Zapruder film to threads on plot, filmography, and historical details.

in short... it's not a movie for those who want to watch summertime blockbuster type movies... more like if you enjoy watching the history channel...

... and there's nothing wrong with that.