Master List Of Medium 32" Scale Basses Only - Not For Short Scale 30"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassHappy, Jun 1, 2016.

1. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I’m still tweaking things,but with the soft old school Optima RB flatwounds,I think it sounds wonderful.
    It has a little bit of a Hofner Beatle bass hollowness, and a very nice compressed thump. (And I don’t use compression in my signal chain). It also has a lot of note clarity throughout the fretboard, rather like a Rickenbacker. The p90-derived pickups are very hot, and will overdrive most inputs, so I’ve lowered them all the way down,which may have been an overreaction. (They came from the factory practically touching the roundwound strings.)
    I am going to raise them back 1/4 and see how they sound at tomorrow’s practice. (They are great sounding pickups, I’m just still getting used to them.)
    My biggest hurdles have been the tight string spacing,very narrow non tapering neck,and flat-edged bound (both sides) body. But i am enjoying the 32” scale and lightish (8 pounds 5 ounces) body.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    RodRy likes this.
  2. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    iCloud
    Here’s a low volume demo. Please Excuse the rambling plunking....

RodRy likes this.
  3. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Dang. Your photo makes me want one of those Stu Hamm basses. :drool:

GR7G5TER likes this.
  4. Aune

Aune

Jan 2, 2013
    This how the 760 FS-M LaBellas look, in case you want to try one of those!

Attached Files:

Possum Willy and RodRy like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Perfect fit!

Aune likes this.
  6. Awesome thread. Have become a big fan of the midscales. I'll add mine to the mix. It's a MrBohjangles hot-rod special. I had been curious about trying out a midscale for a while and came across a low-mileage Ibanez Gio GAXB150 at Goodwill. Scooped it up for $50. Found out why it looked like it had minimal play - the pickup was dead. So the engineer in me said as long as I'm locked away for a pandemic, let's turn this into something fun and interesting. Other than being a little on the heavy side, it's a fun bass to play. This was my first attempt at this sort of thing, but probably won't be my last.

GGbodysm.jpeg GGfullsm.jpeg

7. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK
    I decided to drop the active circuit back in to see how it sounds with the Nordys, I'm just waiting for some connectors and crimps to arrive so i can connect up that circuit.

I'm not the biggest fan of the fender circuit but it might sound better with the Nordys. otherwise I think i'll at dropping in an East pre as i've had GAS for one of those forever.

RodRy likes this.
  8. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK
    That's not just a good deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the century!!

That Peg rig is awesome! Although your jumper cable is a little on the long side! :laugh:

I'm really interested in a P neck with an MM neck pup, how do those to sound together? I generally just use my P pup and dial in a neck J when i wanna sound funky! J bridge pup is not a tone i'm into.

P/MM basses are as rare as rocking horse horse poopie and it's gonna be a while till i get my hands on one to test drive.

Also I'd love to hear that neck pup, I've not seen one so far forward (even allowing for your lack of length :p) on a bass and TBH I've not played a dual MM bass either.

RodRy likes this.

9. I’ve used a couple of those necks on bodies I’ve made. They’re pretty decent especially considering the original price of the bass. One has had the dreaded Ibanez tuner breakitis, the other is fine, so far... :D

RodRy likes this.
  10. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK
    Yeah it's great neck, I assume it's the same as the MIA which is made to Stuart's spec, I'm going to take some sand paper to it this week end to get that nice smooth, slick. oiled finish

RodRy likes this.

11. Heh, heh. This is awkward... I quoted the wrong post I actually meant the Ibanez GAXB150 necks from post #386. :rollno: I’d love to have an Urge I and I pinky swear I wouldn’t tear it apart and spread the components out equally among the rest of my basses. :D

RodRy and GR7G5TER like this.
  12. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK

Oop lol! :woot:
    Ibanez do make amazing necks, If i were to have a bass built then i would model the neck after my SR900, what are those GAXB150 necks like?

RodRy likes this.
  13. Thanks GR7. I couldn't tell from your comments if you realized the original GAXB was a pretty basic, single pu bass. The body, neck, and a little hardware are all that remains from the original instrument. I designed and built the bass you see posted. I documented the process in a thread if anyone is interested. TB'ers like Matt L were a great help.

Rookie build - advice welcomed!

I have limited experience with Ibby necks other than my SRA500. I find that bass to be the easiest playing long scale that I own and was one of the things that made the GAXB an attractive choice for me to hot rod - it has not disappointed. Fast neck with a narrower spacing at the nut. Good for those of us with hands only slightly larger than a newborn's.

Matt Liebenau and RodRy like this.
  14. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK

I'd gathered you'd hot rodded the bass, thanks for the link to your project, just had a read through, great job man!

The only Ibby necks I've played are my SR900 and an SR500 in shop (to see if it was worth the travel for the 900, it was and it turned out it was round the corner from a guitar playing buddy so saved me the trip in the end, it was a steal for £150!) and after a very quick bit of googling they have the same neck profiles as your SRA. I love that neck and if ever get a bass built for me it will be a exactly like that (albeit a 32" version!).

MrBohjangles and RodRy like this.
  15. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK
    New addition to the family arrived today. After a few false starts I think i have found the 32" neck i was looking for!

The natural finish, the thin, fast SR profile neck with that maple board make this very enjoyable to play. The tone is pretty decent with the P pup gives a pretty decent tone with the EQ set flat. The J pup seems to give some decent usable tones too (I'm not a fan of Bridge Js). I've not A/B it yet with my MIA Fender performer P/B yet.

The set up out of the box is pretty decent, the neck is dead flat so there is some buzz between around the 2nd to 5th frets, I've slightly tweaked the saddles to take away the buzz (and the action is still super low and fast).

I'll let it acclimatise for a few days before I add some neck relief and set it up, only gripes so far are:

The pick up covers have really square corners that are slightly uncomfortable, not a big deal in practice but would have been really easy to design this out from the start and the end of the fret board could have been rounded off a bit! The pots were not all the same height (20 seconds later and they are!), I'm being really picky here!

For 199 quid I'm impressed enough bass to think I'm going to keep it, mainly as my practice bass but i s see this getting heavily modded of the next 12 months. The plan is to drop some EMG Geezer's in but want to spend some time with her how she is (and let the bass and bits buying fund grow) and then maybe add a John East preamp.

I might do a proper review once she's properly set up and I've spent a bit more time playing.

Attached Files:

CJL, RodRy, BeeTL and 2 others like this.
  16. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK
    Just pressed buy on a set of EMG Geezers, should be here on sunday!

ric4682 likes this.
  17. GR7G5TER

GR7G5TER

Dec 31, 2018
    UK
    The pickups took longer to arrive than anticipated. Intalled them last night but it was took late to boot up the amp, just plugged in and wow what a differance! The bass is rockin, much prefer the PJ tone over my MIA Precision performer and with both ultra switches engaged on the peg it's got a killer slap tone.

The P on it's is rock solid and really punchy, very happy wiht that tone, i'd say it's slight more subdued compared to the Fender but in a good way, rolling the tone of gives a great 60s sysle tone even with relative new rounds.

This is a gorgeous little bass, love it!

Anyone thinking about the GZRs, buy them!

RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  18. This thread really seems to have jumped-off the track. With all due respect, as the original creator of this thread, I would like to request that any discussion about your own medium scalers be taken to another thread. If you want to present a new medium scale model that you have stumbled onto in your travels - that is great. We all welcome the idea of sharing all the finer points of a new model. That is what this "Master List" thread was created for. Or if you want to present a custom medium scaler you had built for you - of course that is fine too.

There is a medium scale club and numerous other threads on this subject where you can discuss the customization or any other aspect of your own medium scalers. This thread was created exclusively as a reference or "Master List" for those looking for what medium scale basses exist and are available to them in the medium scale world, both low and high end. From my original post:

"If there is a medium scale reference list, I couldn't find it and since these puppies seem scarce - it's a great idea whose time has come. I decided to start a new thread on this so the topic can be searched and found much easier."

The whole idea here is that you should be able to come to this thread to look through the medium scale bass options that are available - options that all the good folks have posted here. You shouldn't have weed through posts that are not relevant to the concept of this "Master List" or reference thread.

Your co-operation would really be appreciated here.

Thank You.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    BrianMarc and RodRy like this.
  19. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

Nov 30, 2011
    Ideally - the list would be divided by the following categories: years in production (if no longer in production), Maker, web site. An "other" category could include weight, price, etc.

RodRy and BassHappy like this.
  20. Absolutely, are you volunteering??????

BrianMarc and RodRy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021