Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Master of Puppets, help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ba Gua Tiger, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that would help me to play the great Master of Puppets?

2. Yes. Take your metronome and put it away because it won't be fast enough. Learn where the notes E, D, Db, C, B, Bb, F, F#, and I think A are all over the bass. Practice these in octave leaps until you can keep up at 250 beats per minute for ten minutes. Then start to learn the melody. MASTER! :D

3. I will practice with the notes. Thank you Jazzbasser.
    If you can play it then...you suck:mad:

:p Just kidding

4. After awhile your speed gets better and better and suddenly that is no longer the problem. What you'll discover being just as tough are the meter changes in their music. You'll be in 4/4, then 6/8, then back to 4/4, then one bar of 3/2, and on and on. In a lot of ways their tunes are very much "theirs".

FWIW, I'd want to practice "just" their songs a few weeks before playin' them out.

Keep up the good work! :)

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What does your amp have to do with how you play "Master of Puppets"?

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    nothing, lolz... playing has to do with if you can do this :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

7. Funny thing, I was playing that song today. I hadn't even tried it in 3 years or so. Seems pretty easy now, so that is a good sign.

Learn to use 3 fingers for plucking, it makes it a lot easier. That is my advice.

Geoff

8. I sometimes use three fingers when :bassist:, but have a hard time at switching between strings when playing really fast.

I am sure that once I get the speed w/accuracy then it wont take too long before I can get the meter changes, I've heard it enough...

Thanks
    ...and I like these new smilies...:spit:
    :bawl:
    :bag:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The only thing I can use 3 fingers for is if I want a quick gallop or two. I'm not good at 1-2-3-1-2-3 or whatever... it's more like 321321

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Playing "Pastor of Muppets", or anything that's fast for that matter, just takes a lot of practice to get it up to speed... and really you're not getting the song up to speed as much as you are getting your chops up to speed. Once you can play 16th notes super-fast, all the Metallica catalog will suddenly become a not-so-difficult to achieve thing.

"Puppets" is still one of my favorite songs to play in the metal genre. It's so terribly metal.

Oh, and I suggest using just two fingers, but that's just me and my opinion.

11. I must be good...I can play that CD....all of it...

12. sobie18...you suck:mad:

no...I guess I do.:( :bawl:

13. :) I'm getting better, but still can't play the whole thing :( :mad:

I am having the most trouble with the part before the last verse

D -------------------245
    A ---------------32------3
    E 00000032

but before long I know I will have it:cool:

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I haven't tried any Metallica for a long time. As a matter a fact... any metal. I should work on my root note speed.

I can play "Talk Too Much" by George Thorogood. That's pretty fast. :p

Man I love being in a bar band. :D

15. That is completely wrong :D

D------------------------0-2-4-5-----------------------3-2-0-
    A----------------0-2-3-------------3----------3-2-3-----------
    E-0-0-0-0-2-3-------------------------------------------------3-2-0

Voila

Good luck, I can barely play it clean.

16. oops!
    I wrote it wrong, I knew it was 23 not 32 but I guess my head didn't want to think of anything other then "when is my fretless going to arrive" I still haven't gotten an email from UPS telling me a tracking #, so I will go to the website(rondomusic.com) and get it from them

17. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Dude, whatever. You are SO wrong... :D

This is how it's supposed to be played:

G-----------------------------------------------
    D-----------------------------------------------
    A-----------------------------------------------
    E-0-0-0-0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12-14-15-8-----8-7-8...

:D

18. You idiot.

It's:

B|-5-5-5-5-7-8-10-12-13-15-17-19-20-13 etc.

Moron.... :D