Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Master Of Puppets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jun 1, 2001.

1. I'm just trying to come up with some sort of measuring device to see how well I'm progressing here. I've been playing 8 months and I started learning master of puppets like an hour ago, I only started on the first couple minutes of the song and I can play most of it alright but I am having a little trouble getting the necessary speed. I guess the question is, would this be below average progress for 8 months? Average? Above average?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If you REALLY want to feel bad, remember that they played that song using only downpicking. I hafta cheat to even get close to playing it.

3. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Compared to me this is awsome progress.
    I've been playing 4 years and I can hardly play a bar of that song up to speed.
    Do you use a pick or play fingerstyle?
    I personally find it easier fingerstyle, as cliff did it.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That might apply to the guitars but not the bass

@ metallicarules

just be patient and practice. everybody has his own pace with learning and progressing.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Uhhhhhh...I thought that went without saying. I use a pick, therefore I would try to play it using all downstrokes. My point was that if he wants to feel bad about something -- oh, nevermind.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [​IMG] ;)

7. metallicarocks, don't worry man. It's nothing different for someone under a year to not be able to play that up to speed with their fingers.

8. Well I play fingerstyle, (I wouldn't come close with a pick) but I must have been flying last night cause I was getting sorta close but I tried again when I woke up this morning and I was a long way off the speed they get. Maybe I'll go do some finger excerises to loosen em up. I guess this is sorta like when I tried "What is Hip", when I first looked at it I thought, hey with a little practice I can do this, but I realized a little later that it was a bit harder than I thought.

9. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Found this thread on a search but anyways.. its been near 3 years. Can you play the song yet?

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Seeing as his last activity was in October i dont think you';ll get a response anytime soon.

11. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Eh... probably wont get a reply just noticed his last activity occurred last october lol.. oh well

12. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    haha wow that was a quick responce... I put mine in before refreshing the page...