Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Master tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JTGale, Feb 10, 2005.

1. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Has anybody ever installed an Aguilar OPB-1 with just a master tone pot as opposed to a tone and a bass pot? I would like to go with only 3 knobs on my current project: volume, blend, master tone. I would like to try and avoid a stacked pot situation. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the obp-1 has active bass and treble eq, not passive tone. If you only want vol/blend/tone, why do you need a preamp?

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Now that you mention it, I am not too sure that I do. I was thinking about this all backwards. I was starting with "more" and trying to think "less." I suppose I had the boosting function of a preamp in mind when I thought about staying active ... :eyebrow: I may just have to consider passive on this project. It deserves some thought. Thanks!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem. It's valid to use a preamp for boosting only if that's what you want, but the aguilar won't do it for you. When active and with eq flat, it's output is the same vol as in passive mode.