1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Masterbilt® De Luxe Classic™ 4-String Acoustic/Electric Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc61, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    ed morgan, JimmyM, murmur70 and 4 others like this.
  2. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Very pretty. Let us know how it sounds.

nixdad likes this.
  3. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Fedex ground - boy oh boy. On their truck yesterday but, has to sit until Tuesday. Hate thinking about this bass being in the cold that long. Will definitely let it set for some time before opening the box

nixdad likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I tried one Wednesday at Sam Ash.

Marc61 likes this.
  5. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    What were your thoughts?

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    It was better than most acoustic basses I've tried and I must've played a dozen...only one better I know of amped.
    Of course, the strings definitively have something to do with it since acoustics almost always have those ridiculous bronze-wounds.

I believe in the MTV Unplugged school of thought…plug in!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you're talking amped, whether for open mic nights or whatever.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    mellowgerman and Marc61 like this.
  7. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I have been eyeing the same one for awhile now; can't wait to hear you're impressions after you 'bond' with it for awhile. There aren't any shops near me that have one in stock to play, and I don't want to buy it at that price to be disappointed!

Marc61 likes this.
  8. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Yes. I hate these situations but, worse comes to worse I can return it at a greatly reduced shipping cost. Sweetwater will send a return label and take it off the tab. This time it seems worth the risk. Tomorrow is pick up, then it'll need a day to "thaw". After that, the report.

9. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Check the binding especially. I had a Martin J40 that was taken to the wrong address in -30 weather and left on the porch all day. When I opened it, the binding was all separated from the wood. Horror.

Marc61 likes this.
  10. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Almost exactly the reason for the purchase. I want to be involved in more acoustic type acts. As I already explained to one guitarist, it may have a great acoustic sound but, most certainly will need to be plugged in if it's accompanying any other instruments including voice.

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Wow!!! I will be taking every measure to avoid the same. Surprised the stores don't instruct more regarding these situations. Has to be a challenge in this type of weather.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some are tempted to open that box the moment it arrives but you simply have to wait the prescribed time.

Marc61 likes this.
  13. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Sweet looking bass! Hope you like it, and look forward to your review. I could definitely see picking up one of these at some point....

I’d be interested to know if the bass balances well, or if there is some neck dive when using a strap (do you need to support the neck a bit with your left hand to keep it level).

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Top heavy but…
    Since these are hard to find.
    2ltrp6t.
    You can always make your own.
    5vax5t.
    I.did, using this.
    Neck dive is now a nonissue.
    2d26qa1.

cavemanbass likes this.
  15. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    i played one recently and was impressed, posted my impressions in another thread on this topic, maybe a thread on the new Epiphones?

Marc61 likes this.
  16. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    In house as of 2:30 PM ET

Attached Files:

• Box.
      Box.jpg
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
    superdick2112 likes this.
  17. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I haven't truly run it through all the paces and only played it acoustically. Sounds great unplugged. Very well constructed. Only issue I would have is ergonomically for some, it should have a thumb rest. I may add one as I bond. Other than that, very comfortable to play and the strings are a winner.

shadven and jd56hawk like this.
  18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    wow---where did you find a strap with a weight pocket? Or is that some ad? And there must be some flat lead thingies somewhere instead of spending the $ for a golf club to get the weights.

EDIT: Found the Heads UP strap site but the domain is for sale. Seems like out of business? Probably better to just sew a pocket on a nice wide strap and there you go. Weights can be found in a hobby shop place I guess.

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Searching the web not too long ago, I saw one on reverb.
    Of course, when I clicked the link I found out it was gone.
    Too bad the company went under. That strap should've been a big seller.

I used a small role of that lead tape on the bottom of one of my straps.
    Easy as pie and you can cover it with whatever you have available...a child's sock with the foot cut off, a seat belt shoulder pad, etc.

MEKer likes this.
  20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Good info---thank you!