1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD MASTERBUILT JOHN KALLAS 1966 JAZZ BASS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Randy W Lopez, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Randy W Lopez

Randy W Lopez Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Endorsing Artist-MESA BOOGIE
    Price:
    Strings:
    MASTERBUILT JOHN KALLAS 1966 JAZZ BASS

1500.00 + SHIPPING TO THE LOWER 48 STATES

NO TRADES

JOHN KALLAS BASSES ARE THE FINEST EXAMPLE OF FENDER IN IT’S HEYDAY AND BUILT BY A MASTER BUILDER WHO WORKED WITH LEO FENDER HIMSELF. IT’S VERY RARE THAT ONE OF HIS BASSES APPEARS FOR SALE USED AND THIS BASS HAS NEVER LEFT MY HOME. TO ORDER THIS BASS NEW, IT WOULD COST $3750.00 WITHOUT A HARDSHELL CASE.

1966 Jazz Bass weights 9 lbs.

Lake Placid Nitrocellulose Finish

Matching Lake Placid Headstock

Block & Bound Rosewood Neck

Amber Tint Nitrocellulose Finish Neck

Lollypop Tuners

Seymour Duncan Vintage Pickups

Fender AV RI Hardware

Chrome Pickup & Bridge Covers

CTS Pots

Fender NOS Cornell-Dubilies Capacitor

Switchcraft Jack

Hardshell Black Fender Case

LET JOHN KALLAS TELL YOU HIMSELF: order

QUOTES FROM HIS SITE…

"All of my basses are available in your choice of a100% nitrocellulose lacquer or poly finish. All necks are nitrocellulose. Both types of finish are extremely thin to allow the wood to resonate.”

"All of my basses are built with Genuine Fender USA vintage reissue hardware and Fender Licensed components. Necks are hand shaped to true vintage profiles with rolled edges. Finish can be either clear or vintage amber tint, in gloss or satin (your choice).”

"All early '60s thru late 60's are sealed with Fullerplast, which is the exact same sealer that Fender used in the early 60's-70's and then shot with nitro.”

"Seymour Duncan vintage pickup(s), with all genuine Fender AV RI hardware, chrome pickup and bridge covers, tug bar, CTS pots w/NOS Fender Cornell-Dubilier capacitor and Switchcraft jack.”

"I use lightweight swamp ash or alder for my bodies (just like the originals) and my basses generally weigh from 7 1/2 to 9 lbs. depending on the model and type of wood used. I DO NOT BUILD HEAVY BASSES!”

All basses are completely set up with absolutely straight necks, the frets milled under tension with very low action (at the bridge and nut), the pickups adjusted for optimum tone and output, the frets recrowned and polished, and the intonation set on a Peterson V-SAM strobe tuner.”

There is some checking on the front and back of headstock. I looked at it as on it’s way to relic.

I’ve had this bass about 10-12 years now, just haven’t played 4 stringers in about 8 years so time to move a few.

With the exception of 2 blemishes on the body (which I attempted to photograph) and the checking, I consider this bass EC/Mint

Attached Files:

totallywink, kobass, bobunit and 2 others like this.
  2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Sweet! Nice price, too. :)

3. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Very nice. Looks just like Klaus Fluoride's original bass.

4. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    interested...

5. WR Jacobs

WR Jacobs Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Sold?...you are the original owner purchased in 2006-7?