Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Masterclass in San Jose on the 29th

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Dave Grossman, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Hey Steve, can I get more info on that Masterclass in San Jose. Your site says to e-mail you but I figured I'd ask you here and see if anybody else in the San Francisco/Oakland area wants to drive down with me.

What's the scoop on that? And, what time is the Espresso Garden gig on the 26th?

Thanks,

Dave

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Dave,

the Espresso Garden gig is at 7.30pm

The masterclass is at Bob Amstadt's house in San Jose, will run from 10.30-4pm, and the numbers are limited to make sure everyone gets to ask the questions they have, try things out and not get lost in the crowds... :)

I'll be covering all kinds of things from technique issues to composition and improvisation ideas, solo playing concepts, harmony, as well as having plenty of time for Q & A and trying out eachother's basses... :)

The cost is $65 and that includes lunch and an invite to an AccuGroove sponsored event that I'm playing at in the evening not far from Bob's place.

the way to get in on it is to paypal the $65 to lawsonclinic@amstadt.com and we'll send you all the details.

see you soon!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    hmmm. I've never been to a "master class".

So I signed up. :)

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks Jeff!

We'll be sending out all the details/address/directions etc. in the next day or so.

looking forward to meeting you

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. Is the masterclass sold out?

I don't think I can make it to the Espresso Garden since I work in Berkeley. I suppose I might be able to go straight from work. Still, with rush hour traffic, it could take me 2 hours to get down to San Jose.

What are some cross-streets near Bob's? I'd like to Mapquest it and see how long it would take to get there. I might still want to go if I can.

- Dave

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi David,

There are about two or three places left at most - email Bob about the directions - bob@amstadt.com - it'd be great to see you there. Espresso Garden will be a fine show too... :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Dave, if you want to go, please email me, there's been a venue change, due to Bob Amstadt being taken ill. It's now at the Koinonia Coffee House, where Bassquake was held last year.

drop me an email if you want to go - we at capacity, but I'll make an exception for ya! :)

Steve
    steve AT steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.stevelawson.net

8. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Here are some pics from the masterclass

Thanks to Steve for his time, and Mark from Accugroove for saving the day with the last minute venue change, a great dinner, and KILLER cabs to play through. :cool:

9. Thanks for the pics ! I'm sure you guys had a great time :)

10. Thanks Steve! I probably would have made taken you up on it if it wasn't so far. San Jose is a bit of a drive for me and I'm not much of a morning person. I'm sorry I missed it. :(

Hopefully, I'll make it to one another time.

- Dave

11. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I've just crawled out of 2 days messing around in the home studio after Steve's masterclass. Majorly inspiring!

The class was excellent - great ideas and tips. For me - the most rewarding part of the day was after the "offical class" ended. Steve was totally unreserved in answering any and all questions regarding his playing and composing methods, techniques and technology. I've met many players who kept their ideas "close to the vest" but Steve didn't hesitate to share.

We even got a chance to jam a bit and hang out to talk politics! Overall, the day was a great investment in my craft. I came away with something I didn't have before the class. Courage to make a serious go at solo bass.

Special thanks to Steve for a great day and his generous spirit.

Oh yeah - major thanks to Lowell for the photosl!

Killer basses too man!

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Jeff,

'twas great to meet you - thanks very much for coming down and asking such great questions. In fact, everyone asked great questions! It was a seriously fun day for me. Glad to have inspired you to more experimentation!

Lowell's photos are very cool indeed. thanks Lowell!

see you again soon,

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net