Mastering software for PC?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pedullaphile, Aug 7, 2002.

1. I have a Tascam 788 and an Echo Mia card in my PC. I record on the 788, then digitally transfer it to my PC for mastering, or so goes the plan.

When I bought the Mia card, it came with Cubase, and a demo of Wavelab. Wavelab seems great, but I am hesitant about the 450 price tag.

Does anybody have any other suggestions to look into?

2. I like Cakewlk sonar, and Nuendo!
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sonar isn't really made for mastering, it can be done but you have to get additional mastering plugins and a separate piece of software for burning CD's. I don't know Nuendo other than it's pretty damn expensive!

Wavelab is a good option. If you think it's too expensive, look at these:

Samplitude Master ($360) is a good piece of software, with most plugins included that a mastering sessions would need (EQ, compressor, limiter, multiband compressor, stereo enhancer, spectroscope). You can also burn your masters to CD directly from Samplitude... I don't know if you can do that with Wavelab?
    I use the version's that's a step up from Samplitude Mastering, Samplitude Studio. I am personally a big fan of this software.

A cheaper DirX-plug compatible audio editor such as Soundforge (<$100?) with the Izotope Ozone plugin package ($200) would also do great for a lower dollar. I haven't used Ozone, but the word on the street is that it sounds great and is easy to work with. Since you already have Cubase, only Ozone would be necessary to get since it can be used from there.

My suggestion is that you spend some time with the demos before you decide which is for you.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can do that with Wavelab too of course!

I use both Samplitude Producer 2496 and Wavelab 4.0e (made in good ol' Germany :) ).

Samplitude's audio engine is one of the best in the biz, the only missing features are ASIO and VST(i) support.

Wavelab is the no.1 audio/mastering editor - with good reason. power, flexibility and great workflow make it hard to beat. Soundforge can't keep up with it.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use wavelab 4. the best, IMO.
  6. I have to admit, that the wavelab demo seems great, I will play around with it some more before biting the bulllet though
  7. Wavelab.

Otherwise, I ran Cool Edit Pro for a while and loved it as well. I found their Hard Limiter great. It's still my favorite interface, only because it's the first audio program I ever used.

They're all great programs, but I'm with Oysterman. Play around with the demos.
  8. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    For Mastering try T-Racks at - it even has a funky valve appearance and multi band limiter.
  9. personally, i like cubase
  10. Newbie question:

Where does Cakewalk fit into the scheme of things?

I have Express Gold 8 that came bundled with a soundcard and it seems to work OK. Then again, I'm completely unwashed when it comes to recording...
  11. BGavin: Wavelab is more for mastering music and burning CDs than for recording multi tracks and mixing them like cakewalk, cubase or whatever.

It is really a dedicated mastering software package for stereo tracks, and is capable of finalizing music on a professional level. I have done a few things on this already and it sounds great.......from classical music to country to funk (friends stuff)
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [broken record]

i REALLY REALLY like vegas for every step of the recording/mixing/mastering process. any questions how it sounds check out the sound samples on - that album was done by us, on a p3 800 in our recording studio, with nothing but vegas. we didn't know how to use it when we started the record.

it's easy to use
    it's powerful
    it's stable

to be honest, i'm only familiar with cakewalk, protools, and vegas...but out of those 3 vegas owns.

[/broken record]