1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mastering?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jhb138, Oct 6, 2017.

1. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My current band recently recorded an EP (which turned out awesome) and now it's time for mastering.

The mastering engineer asked for some examples of the vibe we're looking for. But
    I've never fully understood mastering, nor have I ever had my own work professionally mastered before, so I'm not sure what to listen for.

Any advice out there? Thx in advance.

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Curious what will be suggested.

jhb138 likes this.
  3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Not sure why the mastering engineer wants to add any "vibe" at all - they should be mostly concerned with making the recording appropriate for however you plan to distribute it.

tangentmusic likes this.
  4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Digital mastering for an album or CD usually involves getting all the tracks to have the same volume levels, and in some extreme cases, can add very minor automation. And, some may go as far as very minor EQ to get rid of any sibilance or mud. And, they arrange the tracks for what would sound best, so that all the songs don't all sound the same. Unless you have a producer (that makes most of the decisions for the track layout), the Master guys would ask you how you want the songs arranged on the album or CD or EP.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you have good recordings, a good mastering engineer can sonically match your recordings up with others that you like. Or get close, at least. When we mastered our last Nerve CD we were told the same thing as you, to bring in some CDs that sounded like we wanted ours to sound (I guess your guy is calling that vibe?). Anyhow, I don't remember what we used - but I remember seeing the guy working furiously to match up frequencies on those colored musical graphs like in screensavers :). In short - I'd suggest just coming up with a CD that sounds like you want your finished product to sound. I'm going to assume you know better than to use mp3s, so I won't even say to not do that.

jhb138 likes this.