Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mastodon - Leviathan review.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Just got this cd today. The track listing is as follows.

Blood and Thunder
    I Am Ahab
    Seabeast
    Island
    Iron Tusk
    Megalodon
    Naked Burn
    Aqua Dementia
    Hearts Alive
    Joseph Merrick

This album is just as kick ass as their previous full length album Remission. Although not as heavy.

This album although F'n heavy, is a lot more musical than Remission, and not quite as dense and thick.

The vocal style is a little different as well. There are some actually singing parts, and most of the screaming is toned down, so it's not as extreme, but more hoarse.

As for the mix, I am happy with it, although the drums and bass could be a tiny bit louder. But I am pleased with it.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Hmm...sounds good. It's next on my list to get. :bassist:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought it today, haven't listened yet though.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    After 1 listen, it's OK. I like Remission a lot better so far. However, judging after one listen with this band is a serious mistake, so I will probably change my tune one way or the other.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How would you describe the sound of this band? I have thought about picking up this album cos it got 5/5 on Metaljudgement.com, but I dont really did the Black Metal vocals (ie high pitched screeching) - the growly stuff is fine...

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I would call this growly and not high pitched screeching. There is some actual clear singing too. Don't get me wrong, after one listen it's clear its a good album, but Remission was a VERY good album. I need to take it out of the car and listen to it in the house.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Off topic, but im getting an ad for CHristian Music at the bottom of this page!! - Is this a hint?

8. Sounds interesting. How do they sound like? Death metal? Who would you compare them to?

A metal band that doesn't look like st00pid gothic clowns, that's refreshing! Plus, that band name rocks!

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Not Christian music.

Not death metal.

You guys should listen to some samples, they are really w/o comparision, though you can hear many different influences.

Also, it's really growing on me.

10. Hmm, I don't have a sound card... :meh:

But I'll gladly give 'em a listen next time I visit my record store! :)

Is it musically interesting or is it 3-chord-per-song nu-metal crap? Also, I like death and black metal vocals, but I'm not crazy about the forced screaming that so many nu-metal bands overuse.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's musically interesting. I think you'll like the vocals, not nu-metal style.

12. Thanks, I'll give 'em a try. :cool:

13. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Dave - you should definitely check this band out. I don't have the new CD but Remission is VERY good and I would start there.

14. Cool, Val! :bassist:

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've referred to them as Black Sabbath on better drugs than booze and coke... like crank and stem cells.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    mmmm....crank and stem cells....:cool:

you just invented perpetual motion O' Bearded one.

19. At first listen I liked "Remmision" better but with further listening it sounds better everytime!!!