1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mastodon Live at the Aragon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Apr 7, 2011.

1. So my friend showed me this yesterday

skip to 1:18
    YouTube - Mastodon - Where Strides the Behemoth live at The Aragon 2009

troys hand is still in the air but the bass track is still going.....so i guess they had a live track going on for this dvd recording. which kind of breaks my heart as im a mastodon super fan.

what do TB mastodon fans think of this

2. Unfortunately over-dubbing live footage is a pretty common practice in the mainstream music dvd game. It was probably an editing maneuver on behalf of the label, or perhaps this particular track was so sloppy, the band suggested it be over-dubbed with pre-existing tracks. Either way, its still Mastadon and having the privelage of seeing them, I know they are fully capable of nailing this stuff live...somethimes :D

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    When I saw this DVD coming out I had to wonder how they were going to pull it off. Having seen them live, Brent can't sing worth a CRAP live. He sounds awful. Sounds great on record, sounds like a dying banshee on stage. I knew they had to do some fixing up.

edit: After watching...never mind the bass track, watch Troy singing! I was watching the bass and didn't notice anything, then watched it again and Troy is talking to somebody else yet you hear him singing into the microphone!

I remember watching Megadeth on Palladia a while back...Buenos Airies maybe? Anyway, it's painfully obvious that the Dave you are seeing is not the Dave you are hearing :)

4. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    I'm a Mastodon fan, but I did see some live footage that left me less then impressed. I went back to the Crack the Skye album and realized to reproduce that live would be a pretty incredible task. Those songs are complicated to play on most levels but the mix is what really made it hard to reproduce live.
    I would still go see them.

5. no doubt they are still my favorite band, i just wish they would have kept it live and not do this. warner brothers is terrible IMO

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Everyone since the tech has been available overdubs live concert releases, and that's not just limited to "videos", either. ;)
    Comes w/ the territory.

But yeah, as much as I love M-D, their vocals seriously need help. Troy is always/usually pretty much on but Brent sings SO MUCH on that record and live it just sounds so awful at times. Music was/is incredible but that DVD definitely let me down.

7. i like his vocals i mean they are shrill but i mean......its progressive. i also like geddy lee so i guess thats saying something lol.

i feel better about this now, thanks TB

8. 4StringMonster

4StringMonster

Jan 4, 2011
    I was going to post a thread about Mastodon being my musical influence, but i found this instead. I think Troy Sanders is a decent singer, but one kick ass bass player. Don't believe me, try playing oblivion from beginning to end perfectly. If that's easy for you, then maybe i'm not that good at bass yet :p Anywayd What I like about him is that he knows he can't sing like a god, but you bet your ass he tries his hardest to make it a good performace. His effort is what motivates me to be up on stage someday. About the band, it's my opinion to say that if they get a really good vocalist, they would blow up in the music scene and they would get the respect they much deserve!!
    - Byron

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021