Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mastodon- "Remission"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is like getting kicked in the face eleven times.

I love it!

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I've been hyping them up for a while. They practice a couple of minutes from here. They're intense live. Saw them open for Dillinger once (I think that's the show on the DVD that comes with the new release of Remission). Trey ripped out a handful of hair and threw in the audience, and from then on I was aware that they had something.
    I want to know how many drumsets were torn through to record that album...brutal.
    Very in your face sound.
    Trey's a pretty good bassist too.
    Lifesblood is worthy too.
    Looking forward to the new album.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Saw that fire ants song once or twice on Uranium.....drummer sounds.....well.....pretty dang good!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    After a few listens, I've decided Workhorse is my favorite track. I seriously dig on the vocal rhythm/melody he does throughout.

The recording is really good to, it's meaty without being muffled, and heavy as all heck.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mastodon are incredible. I am sort of annoyed though, I want the DVD but I already bought the CD and don't really want to buy it again. The fact that I even think about it is testament to how highly I think of the music though.

6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    That's where I stand too...I feel penalized! Plus there's an extra song on the album. I believe it's a cover.
    Although I have heard that the mix for the DVD is quite bad.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I heard that too. All we can hope is that they eventually release a DVD/cd set with all the loose ends, like so many bands do these days.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    They came to my town a few months ago. Unfortunately it was like a week before I could drive again and I couldn't find a ride :bawl: Clutch was touring with them too. :(

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I ripped "March of the Fire Ants" from the radio station I work at.

Then I went on a rampage.

Shizzy bo bizzy, there are some heavy poop.
    :eek:

10. Mastodon rules. I've been listening to them since the summer of 2003.

I have Lifesblood (an ep)
    and Remission cd/dvd set